PDA

View Full Version : Rabbeting question

Louis Brandt
07-18-2009, 4:07 PM
Hello,

I need to cut some 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch rabbets for my bookcase project. Here’s the question:

I’m assuming that there are two accepted ways to cut a rabbet.

One, use a rabbeting bit with a bearing which runs along the edge of the piece to be rabbeted.

Two, use a straight bit, and clamp a straightedge along the piece to be rabbeted, then run the router base along the straight edge, letting the straight bit cut the rabbet.

Which one do you recommend using?

Thanks,
Louis

Eiji Fuller
07-18-2009, 5:00 PM
bearing or edge guide

Jay Jolliffe
07-18-2009, 5:21 PM
Jig & guide bushing

Frank Drew
07-18-2009, 7:30 PM
There's also dado head on your table saw (or just two cuts with your regular blade), router table with a fence, fence on a hand held router. I wouldn't use the clamped straight edge because it's a bit fussy to set up and prone to inaccuracy, IMO.

For a small cut like that any method that doesn't take too much time is appropriate. If you don't like noise, a rabbeting plane with a fence and a depth stop would make pretty quick work of it but obviously not as quick as machine methods.

Louis Brandt
07-18-2009, 7:45 PM
I'm afraid that I didn't ask the question well enough. I don't have a table saw, and I want to do this with a hand-held router.

My only question is, which is the better method using a hand-held router: (1) use a rabbeting bit that has a bearing that runs along the edge of the piece to be rabbeted, or (2) use a straight bit with some type of edge guide or clamped piece along which the router base runs?
Louis

Brian Kent
07-18-2009, 7:53 PM
I would use #1, because the bearing guide would cut out the margin of ersor of slightly misplaced guides.

glenn bradley
07-18-2009, 8:48 PM
I prefer guided as it directly references the edge. Additional bearings can be had for much less than a full rabbet set. Caliper the I.D. of your current bearing and order an O.D. to give you a 1/4" cut: http://www.holbren.com/bearings/

If you are unsure, give them a call.