PDA

View Full Version : Gps

Sean Troy
07-18-2009, 1:54 PM
Hello all, I was thinking about getting the NU VU 205W. Anyone have this unit or know anything pro or con about it? Thanks, Sean

Scott Donley
07-18-2009, 5:55 PM
I don't have the 205 but I did buy the 255w. I will say the "W" is worth the extra few bucks for me. My eyes don't see as good as they use to and the "W" I have no problem. Good luck as there are way to many to choose from:)

glenn bradley
07-18-2009, 9:05 PM
I got the 265W during the last sale at Costco. It has turned out to have about any feature I could want. If you go to Garmin's site you can compare features side by side with Scott's 255 and my 265 and see if the 205 is going to lack anything you feel is important ;-)

Cary Falk
07-18-2009, 9:15 PM
I forget which Garmin I have. The "text to speach" or "speak street" feature was important to me. Most of the other stuff like picture viewer and mp3 player was of no interest to me. YMMV

Joe Pelonio
07-18-2009, 9:39 PM
I have enjoyed using my 250, the only problem is in Seattle where the roads are elevated over others. It doesn't know which one I'm on and gets confused.

glenn bradley
07-18-2009, 11:16 PM
It doesn't know which one I'm on and gets confused.

Mine does the same with new offramps that parallel the freeway. After a few hundred feet, it recalculates and figures it out. It is funny to watch its little brain get hot though ;-)

Paul Ryan
07-20-2009, 10:00 PM
Unless you like in a metro area, stay away from the TOM TOM's. I have had both. I was very frustrated with the TOM TOM. I have a garmin 780W I think. It is much better as a navigator. The tomtom was easier to use but was a very very bad navigator. As far a I am concerned the text to speach thing is really no necessary. Many time is mispronouces the name around here. As long as it say turn right in 100 yards, or turn left in X amount that is all we really need. But the wide screen is well worth the extra, much easier to see the maps.

Sean Troy
07-21-2009, 8:15 PM
I went ahead and ordered the NuVu 205w. It would appear this one should do what I need out of it.

Matt Meiser
07-26-2009, 10:25 PM
We bought a 255W kit a few weeks ago and just returned from a 2800 mile trip to New England. I'm in love with it. Not only for directions, but I found myself using it a lot to anticipate what was coming up--for example, instead of wondering how many miles until our next move, I could just look and see. I found a couple minor issues. For one, sometimes when we had an intermediate waypoint, it wouldn't actually detect that we arrived because it was off a little. And once in central PA it decided we were on a parallel road, got confused, and eventually lost all satellite reception. Powering off and on fixed it and it didn't do it again. It was invaluable driving between small Maine towns that barely showed up on the map. And the ETA feature is pretty accurate, not including stops (like the 1 hour delay on I-495 in Boston Friday.)

Dave Lehnert
07-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Unless you like in a metro area, stay away from the TOM TOM's. I have had both. I was very frustrated with the TOM TOM. I have a garmin 780W I think. It is much better as a navigator. The tomtom was easier to use but was a very very bad navigator. As far a I am concerned the text to speach thing is really no necessary. Many time is mispronouces the name around here. As long as it say turn right in 100 yards, or turn left in X amount that is all we really need. But the wide screen is well worth the extra, much easier to see the maps.

I have a Tom Tom and found it to be very accurate. I use it in Amish country and have not missed a lick. Guess some models of any brand is better than other in cretin areas.