PDA

View Full Version : Sears Radial 100 (Radialarm saw)

Louis Rucci
07-18-2009, 1:16 PM
I saw this advertised by a mill shop going out of business. I already have a Dewalt 8" and wanted a larger one also. Is this Sears model worth going after? They're only asking $150.00. I also have a line on a Rockwell 18" for $475.00. Haven't seen it yet, but hope to this week.

Art Kelly
07-18-2009, 1:26 PM
Do a quick check at sears.com to see if parts are still available. Also, there was a recall on some Sears RASs.

http://radialarmsawrecall.com/

Get a s/n if you can. Hurry.

I have one somewhat newer than that, but still all cast iron. Good basic saw. If you put a big-enough table on it, you can rip full sheets of plywood very safely (anti-kickback device needed).

I did have a smack-myself-in-the-forehead moment when I saw that bungee cord. Gonna go right out and hook one up to keep the carriage retracted while the blade spins down. Just a little safer.

Art

John McClanahan
07-18-2009, 1:48 PM
That might be a bit high. I have a 10 inch Craftsman that I'm thinking about selling. I have been checking the Kansas City Craigslist for a fair price. There are always saws in the $100-125 range.

The recall addresses the blade guard when using the saw for ripping.

John

David DeCristoforo
07-18-2009, 1:50 PM
Not a "bad" saw but if you want a bigger machine the 18" Rockwell for $475 would be a better buy, assuming, of course, that it is in "good working condition".

Bill White
07-18-2009, 2:33 PM
Price is too high. Maybe $100.00 to $125.00 would be closer in line. I have a newer model that I bought in 1978. It has been a workhorse. Set up properly and enjoy.
Bill

Bob Aquino
07-18-2009, 3:25 PM
Stay away from Sears radial arm saws, period. I had that model, it is junk. Very difficult to align the blade so it is even with the top of the table. If you have a line on one of the older Delta/Rockwell saws than that is what you should go for. If your Dewalt is one of the older models then you will be dissapointed by anything with the sears craftsman name on it.

Fred Hargis
07-18-2009, 4:08 PM
Around me that model is frequently sold for less than $100. In fact, I bought one for $100, and sent the motor back on the recall to get my money back, and then kept the cabinet that came with it for a Dewalt MBF. I even tried giving away the remaining parts, and had about 2 requests for some odds and ends. As Sears saws goes, that one is one of the better ones, but it's still not a Dewalt (IMHO).

Chip Lindley
07-19-2009, 9:21 AM
As mentioned, there is a GLUT of Sears 10" RAS's for sale Everywhere! You can almost name your own price. Offer $100! The very old '50s/'60s cast iron saws are still keepers among RAS afficianados. (this may be one of them!) Up through the 1990s, Sears' *Commercial* 12" RAS was a DeWalt cast iron model. Quite impressive.

That 18" Rockwell RAS is a MONSTER! I have one! 7.5hp 3-phase motor! It's the last RAS you will ever need, IF you can move it into your shop and power it off house current. I have an ARCO rpc for mine! The whole neighborhood has a *brown-out* when I start cross-cutting! *chuckle*

Louis Rucci
07-21-2009, 9:51 PM
I thank-you for all your input. I figured the Rockwell would need 3 phase, so that's out for me.

Steve Clardy
07-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Yep. Most of the 16 and 18" rockwell's were 3phase