PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Maple Bowl

Bernie Weishapl
07-18-2009, 11:11 AM
Here is a spalted maple bowl from some wood I got from a friend. Larry Merlau sent me this from Michigan. It really had some great spalting but also had a lot of punky wood in it. When I got it almost to finished size I soaked it really well with brushing lacquer and mineral spirits 50/50. That worked out quite well and I let it dry overnight. I finished it the next day and left the walls a little thicker than I like but didn't turn out to bad I thought. 8" X 4" and finished with brushing lacquer.

Steve Schlumpf
07-18-2009, 11:47 AM
Pretty wood Bernie! Glad you took the time to save it! I will have to remember the 50/50 solution when I come across punky stuff I want to save! Thanks for sharing!

Bill Bolen
07-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Pretty piece Bernie! All that spalting really jumps out at a guy...Bill..

Wayne Leach
07-18-2009, 9:48 PM
Some nice spalting and you showed it off well with your workmanship.
Wayne

Jeff Nicol
07-18-2009, 10:54 PM
Bernie, That little bowl has some great spalting, and as you said it gets pretty punky when it gets to that point! It still is pretty and I think most people are happy to have a nice spalted piece in their collection. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Jeff

Norm Zax
07-19-2009, 2:51 AM
Great bowl! Seeing those clear black lines almost makes you expect to see the small coloring numbers as well.
Norm

Bernie Weishapl
07-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks again all. This had by far the most spalting in a piece I have turned. I learned a lot about this type of wood. This one is going into my collection. Just to pretty to sell unless someone makes me a offer I can't refuse.

Walt Caza
07-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Hi Bernie,
Great looking spalted bowl.
Thanks for giving us a peek.

May I ask...
how do you approach spalted wood as far as safe breathing?
I have read a couple things about the possible health risks...

good show,
Walt

Marc Himes
07-19-2009, 3:42 PM
Nice piece Bernie and good information about the 50/50 formula. How do you like Brushing Laquer as a finish? I have had some trouble with Spray Laquer, perhapls getting it too thick and leaving drips. Do you apply it with a brush as the name implies?

Marc Himes

Bernie Weishapl
07-19-2009, 3:58 PM
Thanks again.

Walt I wear my trend whenever I am in the shop especially during sanding. I was told by my Doc that you can get emphysema breathing wood dust to much. I had a infection in my lungs and that is not happening again.

Marc I don't use brushing lacquer to much as a finish. I use deft rattle can lacquer. The key is many light coats. I will put as many as 7 to 8 light coats. You just have to have patients. That is the key when finishing. I tried the brushing lacquer and the first coat is fine but after that I just didn't care for it.

Toney Robertson
07-19-2009, 8:56 PM
Nice bowl and beautiful spalting.

I HAVE to try the lacquer 50/50 wash sometime.

Toney

Bernie Weishapl
07-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks Toney. If you thin it pretty good it soaks in quite well.

Aaron Wingert
07-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Nice looking piece Bernie. Like it a lot!

How long does the 50/50 brusing laquer/mineral spirits mix take to dry after the soak? How long are you soaking it, and is it immersed in the mix or just brushed in until it won't take more? Great idea...Just curious to learn more.

Joshua Dinerstein
07-20-2009, 12:37 PM
I like em Bernie. Nice pattern and color and a good shape. Well done!

Joshua

steven carter
07-20-2009, 1:12 PM
Good Job Bernie! You gotta love the spalted maple. Thanks for sharing.

Steve

John W Dixon
07-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Berni, great loking bowl. Forgive me for asking the dumb question but I'm assuming the reason for the soak was to harden it enough to finish the turning? Just trying to clarify for my feeble little mind.:) Looks like it worked whatever it was for. Again nice job.

John

robert baccus
07-22-2009, 2:40 PM
try laquer thinner instead of mineral spirits---------works better------ol forester