PDA

View Full Version : Laguna 18/47 Update

Al Stramiello
07-17-2009, 11:44 PM
A few people have been asking about my experience with my new Laguna 18/47. Sorry I haven't posted sooner. I was waiting until I really put some miles on it. So far everything is fine with the lathe. I'm impressed with its power and smoothness. This is the first time that I've had a lathe with EVS. It's taking me a little while to get used to turning the dial and adjusting the speed. I'm used to the handle control on my Delta 46-715.

As far as customer support goes I've been very satisfied. When I unpacked the crate I thought I was missing a nut. I called Laguna and one arrived the next day. As it turned out, the nut wasn't missing.

The Laguna people have called me twice over the past six weeks to see if I have any questions or need help. I mentioned that I would like to have an extra belt . . . . and they sent one free of charge.

I have two suggestions that I made to Laguna. The first one was that the owner's manual said almost nothing about how to assemble the lathe. If this was the first lathe that I ever purchased I might have felt a little overwhelmed by the lack of instructions. On the other hand, setting up a lathe is pretty intuitive. My other suggestion was that they get their Laguna owner's forum up and operating.

I'll keep the forum posted as I continue using the lathe. And, if there is ever a problem with it . . . you all will be certain to hear about it.

Steve Schlumpf
07-17-2009, 11:55 PM
Al - glad to hear that you are happy with your new lathe! Also glad to hear you have been getting really good customer support - that does make a difference!

Looking forward to seeing some of your turnings real soon! Photos of your new lathe would be appreciated also! Thanks for keeping us informed!

Brian Novotny
07-18-2009, 12:09 AM
Those are SOOO nice. The other day I put all of my weight into one and 'm not sure if it moved at all. They're smooth, quiet,, and massively solid. I need to get $1100 in 10 days and I can get a new one. Thanks for the review. I posted in another thread that they're flying off of the shelves at amazon. If I do get the money I'm not sure what I'm going to do because I think it weighs more than my truck!

Kyle Iwamoto
07-18-2009, 4:08 AM
Sweet. Thanks for the update. The big lathe will have to wait for me though, I just got a table saw and my checkbook is hurting.

alex carey
07-18-2009, 6:37 AM
It's good to know their lathes are on the up and up. They had a lot of bad press for quite a while. Probably why they are making house calls. Hopefully their service stays the same as well as their reliability

Bernie Weishapl
07-18-2009, 9:22 AM
Good to hear Al. Can't wait to see some turnings.

Brian Novotny
07-20-2009, 4:13 PM
So, the guy selling me his jet, actually he's selling all of his jets in his instruction studio for 18/43 lagunas. That's instruction shop #2 in the last week that's doing the same. I think there are some people out of the loop as far as the lagunas, I wonder if the current price is just to establish quality and a good reputation before they up their prices when the last joe smoe doubter comes around. Man, I REALLY wish I had this lathe, I'd trade you the jet anyday.

Scott Donley
07-20-2009, 4:22 PM
I need to get $1100 in 10 days and I can get a new one. Thanks for the review. I posted in another thread that they're flying off of the shelves at amazon. If I do get the money I'm not sure what I'm going to do because I think it weighs more than my truck!Don't think you will find the 18/47 for 1100.

Brian Novotny
07-20-2009, 6:01 PM
Don't think you will find the 18/47 for 1100. I don't think I'd find it, but it might find me!

Bill Blasic
07-21-2009, 7:32 AM
Brian,
I've been following your thoughts on the Laguna lathe and your last post gave me a real chuckle. The part where you say about them establishing quality and a good reputation especially. To me and others who were aware of what one of the guys who bought one of these went through to get his problem resolved will mean that I for one will never see them in a good light. I could not see a way that I would purchase a product from them. I wish those who buy them good luck and I hope they have no problems.
Bill

alex carey
07-21-2009, 7:39 AM
Yeah I've definitely read about a ton of bad stuff on the part of the Laguna staff and on the quality of the lathe but personally I believe in second chances. A company and their product can change. If 5 years down the line all I hear is good things I wouldn't hesitate. It takes only a few moments to destroy a reputation and a long time to build a good one, but every reputation can be brought back from the dead no matter how bad it is.

Brian Novotny
07-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Brian,
I've been following your thoughts on the Laguna lathe and your last post gave me a real chuckle. The part where you say about them establishing quality and a good reputation especially. To me and others who were aware of what one of the guys who bought one of these went through to get his problem resolved will mean that I for one will never see them in a good light. I could not see a way that I would purchase a product from them. I wish those who buy them good luck and I hope they have no problems.
Bill

Have you turned on one yet?

you know there were some delta years were the quality was AWEFUL. Steel cracking and chippping off....They've turned around their products a few times.

I think they're local because all of the turners around here seem to want one. And I haven't heard one bad thing......Although my friend who owns 4 of them told me about his pos laguna bandsaw he used to have.

Harlan Coverdale
07-22-2009, 3:13 AM
I think they're local because all of the turners around here seem to want one. And I haven't heard one bad thing......Although my friend who owns 4 of them told me about his pos laguna bandsaw he used to have.

They are local, but trust me, not all the turners around here want one, at least not yet. If you haven't heard one bad thing yet, you haven't really researched them. I hope your friend has good luck with his, and I hope the same for Al, the OP. I suspect Laguna has addressed the previous problems and I agree with Alex that companies deserve a second chance, but personally I'd wait until they have a few thousand or so under their belts before plunking down my cash. Even a discount price is no bargain if you end up with problems.