PDA

View Full Version : Delta Planers 790x versus 785x

Cam Livingstone
07-17-2009, 9:57 PM
I'm looking at a new 15 inch planer. Our local WTS dealer has a Delta 22-790x for $1349 and a Delta 22-785x for $1150. There does not appear to be much difference between the two models, A friend of mine has the 790x so I know that one will do the job but I'm wondering if I should go for the 785x and save a few dollars? Any other 15 inch planer recommendations.

Cary Falk
07-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Grizzly has a spiral head 15" planer on Ebay with free shipping for I think $1495. The spiral head is definitely worth the extra $100. It's on my short list.

Cary

Edit to add: MS/Bing cashback is still at 8% if you get it through E-bay.

Cam Livingstone
07-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Hi Cary, thanks for your Grizzly suggestion, I have not had much experience with spiral heads. Is there really a big difference?

/Cam

Cary Falk
07-18-2009, 2:54 PM
Hi Cary, thanks for your Grizzly suggestion, I have not had much experience with spiral heads. Is there really a big difference?

/Cam

For me the fact that I don't have to change a set of knives is priceless. The carbide inserts will wear longer. There is virtually no tear out on figured wood. The head is suppose to be quiter even though I don't notice a difference on my jointer. If you don't want the spiral head, I believe there is a non spiral version on E-bay also for under a grand shipped. The bing discount should work with that also.

glenn bradley
07-18-2009, 3:15 PM

/Cam

For me the fact that I don't have to change a set of knives is priceless.

When I went for my larger jointer, a spiral head was a MUST on my requirements list. I'll never have to set knives again, oh joy! I have run enough material through the first of the four surfaces on the inserts to require my old knives to be sharpened a couple times . . . . still going.

Cam Livingstone
07-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Pulled the trigger on a used Powermatic 15HH. It cost just a bid more than the Delta 22-790 but based on everyone's advice the Shelix head is worth it. I will be planing up a storm tomorrow.

/Cam