PDA

View Full Version : Warped steel wing in Jet tablesaw

Ken Platt
07-17-2009, 9:12 PM
Folks -

I've had a Jet contractor's tablesaw (the JWTS-10JF model) since I started woodworking maybe 15 years ago, it's always served me well.

Tonight I was having trouble with a workpiece rocking as it sat on the saw top, and I discovered that one of the steel wings is warped, with what is basically a hump in the middle. The other one still seems as flat as ever.

It seems strange to me for this to come up on a saw that hasn't even been moved in a couple of years, since the last shop re-organization. Anyone else had this happen? And, more importantly, any ideas on a fix?

Many years ago I'd shopped for cast-iron wings just because I thought it'd be neat to have them. I vaguely recall finding them for sale, but now cannot find them. Does anyone know of a source? I looked at Jet's website, but couldn't find them.

Thanks -

Ken

Bill Huber
07-17-2009, 11:23 PM
I have a Jet contractors saw and it came with the steel wings, they were ok but I really did not like them.

First replacement.

I found a Craftsman saw on Craigs list for $50, took the wings off and they fit ring on the jet.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=100610&highlight=extension

I did do a mode to them so I would not pinch my fingers.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=100725&highlight=wings

The I really lucked out and a coworker had a set that he had never used and gave them to me, great guy. After putting on the 2 cast iron wings the saw was like different, no vibration and it was as smooth as silk.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=109605&highlight=wings

Now I have found them at Sears, not cheap but they have them. Right now they are on sale for $50 each.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00918637000P?keyword=table+saw+acces sories

I think I would get them at that price.

Byron Trantham
07-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Ken, after fifteen years of use, treat yourself and follow Bill's advice. You won't regret it.

David G Baker
07-18-2009, 1:16 PM
My Craftsman tablesaw came with only one cast iron wing, I wanted a second one so I bought one from Sears about 20 years ago for $75 plus tax and shipping. $50 is a great price and the cast iron wings are so much better than the steel wings.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-18-2009, 3:03 PM
Cast iron goes through a de stressing period that can last years a and years unless the manufacturer stress relieves treats and drops it in a cryo tank. And no Taiwanese hobby machine manufacturer is going to do that.
I'd be surprised if Martin and Altendorf did it.

At any rate you can force the top back by bracing it from beneath and pulling or pushing on it in variousways. You'll need a couple of things besides the ability to see and know where and how you gotta apply pressure ( which is not a high skill by any means) you also need some taps and the right size drills and some heavy steel bar stock about half inch thick or better by an inch wide set on edge. It is possible to do it with Oak or Maple in thick cross sections too.

Dick Brown
07-18-2009, 3:11 PM
Go to E-Bay--- Often see them for $25--$30. each. Sometimes less. I have a set of the open Craftsman ones that I would sell for $50, you pay the shipping. Came off a saw I paid very little more than that for but put longer fence rails and wider wings on.
Dick

Ken Platt
07-18-2009, 3:41 PM
That Sears sale does seem timely. The web site doesn't give much in the way of details, not even overall dimensions. Does anyone have a pair that they could measure for me, to check the mounting holes? Does it just hang off the front and back fences, or does it mount also to the side of the existing cast iron portion?

Jet Customer service doesn't seem to be open until Monday for me to call to check their price (if they even have) on the cast iron wings...So any advice on the Sears would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

Bill Huber
07-18-2009, 5:07 PM
That Sears sale does seem timely. The web site doesn't give much in the way of details, not even overall dimensions. Does anyone have a pair that they could measure for me, to check the mounting holes? Does it just hang off the front and back fences, or does it mount also to the side of the existing cast iron portion?

Jet Customer service doesn't seem to be open until Monday for me to call to check their price (if they even have) on the cast iron wings...So any advice on the Sears would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

They are 10x27 and for the Jet you will have to drill the holes to match the ones on the saw.