PDA

View Full Version : Be Carefull -- Woodturning Fatality

David Walser
07-17-2009, 7:05 PM
For those of you who may have missed the story, a woodturner in Waterdown, Ontario, died in a woodturning accident Monday, July 13th. While working at the lathe, a piece of wood broke off and hit him in the head.

Here's a link to the article in the local newspaper: http://www.flamboroughreview.com/news/article/267516

Bernie Weishapl
07-17-2009, 8:19 PM
That is a sad story to hear. That is why I never walk in to my shop to turn without my trend on. It hangs right by the door.

Jeff Nicol
07-17-2009, 8:33 PM
Dave, Thanks for the reminder that all tools can be dangerous! When the bowl flew apart that hit me in the head and gave me 28 stitches for my experience. You learn real fast! There are some times that no matter what you are wearing that bad things can happen. It does not say how large the wood was or anything else so we don't know the whole story. But safety first no matter what! A friend of mine crashed his bicycle and had on a very spendy helmet, but he hit a steel gaurd rail right on the edge of the rail. He died instantly, so one never knows. We just do the best we can.

Jeff

Brian Novotny
07-17-2009, 8:46 PM
What a horrible story.

Last summer I amputated part of my middle finger on a jointer.
It's too bad, but it almost takes a bad accident for alot of people to learn safety.

Prayers go out to his family.

Jeff Paxton
07-17-2009, 9:22 PM
I would like to know if he had a face shield on, I didn't see that in the article. I have the Triton Helmet/Faceshield, but I don't really use it when turning green wood, I use it mostly when sanding. While turning green wood, I just use a regular faceshield (AT ALL TIMES), but I just wonder if the Triton Helmet would be safer than the faceshield. Just curious. One day I would like to get the new Trend because I think I would like not having to mess with the hose and the filter/motor assembly on my waist, but again the Triton seems like it would be safer in a situation of some wood flying off the lathe since it covers the whole head. Pros and Cons to all of them I guess.

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
07-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Accidents happen all the time on lathes but most do not take a life! My heart and prayers go out to his family. Wish there was some additional information as exactly what he was doing that could shed light on what caused the accident. The only thing we can do is be aware and think things through before we turn!

alex carey
07-18-2009, 6:52 AM
Got hit with a bowl in the chest, hurt like hell and gave me a myocardial contusion.

Safety first.

Jarrod McGehee
07-18-2009, 1:58 PM
Like what Brian said, a bad accident is what it takes to learn from. A buddy of mine that was on my wrestling team died from binge drinking. It sucks, and that's a stupid way to go out.

Too bad for that guy that died from turning. I've heard of wearing a catchers mask for protection. Be safe guys

Bill Wyko
07-18-2009, 6:33 PM
This is why I don't have safety glasses in my shop. Not even one pair. It's full face shield only. That's a very unfortunate event. I'll say a prayer for him and his family. What a way to go.

Rob Damon
07-18-2009, 7:29 PM
Kind of makes me want to go and buy one of theses, ballistic face sheild for $465. A lot cheaper than stitches..:eek:.

Rob
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/security2020_2061_31879679

Dave Bender
07-18-2009, 8:05 PM
This is why I don't have safety glasses in my shop. Not even one pair. It's full face shield only. That's a very unfortunate event. I'll say a prayer for him and his family. What a way to go.

To be properly protected you wear safety glasses under the face shield.

Jim C Bradley
07-18-2009, 8:35 PM
Wear safety glasses under your face mask. I have not heard of a face mask that offers safety protection. Read the literature that came with your mask. I would almost stake my life on a bet...I bet it says wear safety glasses also.

The previous was words from your friendly SMC eye doc.

Enjoy,

Jim