PDA

View Full Version : magazine subscriptions

aurelio alarcon
09-01-2004, 2:11 AM
Please vote on which you recommend or subscribe to.

Rob Russell
09-01-2004, 6:49 AM
I don't subscribe to them, but you should probably include:
Shop Notes
Woodworking at Home (CD)

John M. Cioffi
09-01-2004, 6:54 AM
Aurelio,

My third sub. is to Workbench mag.

Dave Brandt
09-01-2004, 7:02 AM
My wife says I'm a magazine junkie, but I also get Shop Notes, Workbench, and Woodworkers Journal.

Mark Singer
09-01-2004, 7:53 AM
Woodwork is also really a great magazine

Larry Browning
09-01-2004, 7:59 AM
Is there a magazine called Shopsmith? Or does he mean ShopNotes? I take Wood, Woodsmith and ShopNotes. I tried American Woodworker, but found ir rather uninteresting.

aurelio alarcon
09-01-2004, 8:45 AM
Is there a magazine called Shopsmith? Or does he mean ShopNotes? I take Wood, Woodsmith and ShopNotes. I tried American Woodworker, but found ir rather uninteresting.I did mean ShopNotes. Sorry.

Scott Coffelt
09-01-2004, 9:08 AM
Shop Notes since the first issue, some have been really great and a few not so good, but I have no plans of stopping now. I've had others from time to time, but now just down to two. Shop Notes and Wood. I like to pick up Fine Woodworking and Fine Home Building from time to time.

Howard Rosenberg
09-01-2004, 9:36 AM
your understanding and needs change as you grow in sophistication.

When I first started WW, I thought American Woodworker was a great magazine. It might still be, but my awareness has evolved.

I now subscribe to FWW and couldn't be happier.

I also find that every single magazine has a little tip, tidbit, smidgen to offer at one time or another to somebody.

Thank heavens I live in a big (Canadian) city with a national chain that offers a HUGE selection of US, UK and Australian magazines and you're allowed to browse while in their comfy chairs!

Howard

Garry Smith
09-01-2004, 9:44 AM
I agree with Mark - Woodwork and Fine Woodworking

David Tang
09-01-2004, 10:06 AM
I also subscribe to Shopnotes and Workbench.

Chris Padilla
09-01-2004, 10:54 AM
American Woodworker was my first mag...still get it...still love it.

Wood was my second mag...still get it...still love it.

I just recently received my first subscription to Fine Woodworking. I think this one is tops of the two I have and certainly the priciest.

I need to stop at 3 as I'm drowning in these things and due to busy, busy work in the Garage Gut, I don't have much time to read them lately.

Lee Schierer
09-01-2004, 12:04 PM
You missed a really good one: "Workbench"

Jerry Palmer
09-01-2004, 2:21 PM
I subscribe to Wood and Fine Woodworking, and buy many others off the shelf when they've got something I'm interested in. I also pick up nearly every issue of Woodwork mag.

Jerry Olexa
09-02-2004, 12:04 AM
I agree with Mark - Woodwork and Fine Woodworking
I guess I don't know All the WW magazines. Tell me more about Woodwork mentioned in 2 responses. Thanks. Never seen in Borders or B&Noble,

Carole Valentine
09-02-2004, 9:22 AM
I get Wood and Popular Woodworking and Woodworkers Journal on a subscription basis, but then I pick up any others that have articles that interest me...usually FWW. I also subscribe to the Woodworking at Home CD. I really like the video concept...actually seeing someone do something, rather than just reading about it, seems to "sink in" better with me. Wish other mags would do some of that.

Bob Fuller
09-02-2004, 9:57 AM
The magazine on DVD, Woodworking at home, interests me. I do not subscribe yet, but I am curious if others do and what they think of it.

Bob in Fort Bragg, CA

Mark Singer
09-02-2004, 10:10 AM
I guess I don't know All the WW magazines. Tell me more about Woodwork mentioned in 2 responses. Thanks. Never seen in Borders or B&Noble,Jerry,
Here is a cover shot and a review at Amazon. It is available through Amazon and is truly a unique magazine. It is more art and design oriented with great coverage of fine crafstman around the world. They have a guarantee that if you order it and are unhappy you get a full refund....I never even thought about it...it is that good!

http://www.takumijuku.com/images/woodwork/woodowork.pdf

Scroll down on this one for reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009MQ8F/102-5717658-8290535?v=glance

Jim Becker
09-02-2004, 3:59 PM
The magazine on DVD, Woodworking at home, interests me. I do not subscribe yet, but I am curious if others do and what they think of it.It's excellent...there are some threads about it here at SCM, too. Chris Dehut is also an SMC member.

Steve Clardy
09-02-2004, 5:38 PM
I take Wood Shop News and Cabinetmaker Magazine. [not listed above]
I have probably had all of the above + a few more over the years and do not get them anymore. Just wasn't anything in them for me.:rolleyes:
Steve