PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid Band Saw Dust Collection

Mike Cruz
07-17-2009, 2:00 PM
Ok, I FINALLY got all may parts for upgrading my Ridgid 14" band saw. Everything went together. I have heard it said a number of times here on the forum that if you are going through the trouble of upgrading the Ridgid 14", you will want to do something about the dust collection...

WHAT???????????

What can you do? There is a 2 1/2 inch port that handily hooks up to your shop vac. Works okay, but I wanted better. I (as I have stated in previous posts) picked up a Jet (may have said Delta in previous post) 610, with a 3/4 HP motor. It actually has decent air flow. Certainly what I would have THOUGHT would be enough, but apparently isn't. I tried it with a 4" to 2 1/2" reducer...not as good as my shop vac; tried putting the 4" hose right up to the lower guide assembly...not even close to enough suction to get all the dust; tried the 4" hose as above AND the dust vac on the 2 1/2" post...okay, but seems like it could still be better.

What do I have to do, drill a 4" hole in the lower door and hook my 4" hose to that?

I would like to avoid running 35+ feet of hose from my Grizzly 2 HP DC over to it.

What have YOU tried on this or another saw to get good dust collection?

David Hostetler
07-17-2009, 2:11 PM
Get over to BT3Central.com, Tool Talk subforum, and look for a thread titled "Band Saw Dust Collection Improvement Ideas."

Mike Cruz
07-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the link. It gave me some things to think about.

If anyone else has some ideas, I am all ears. You can never have too many angles and suggestions.

Lance Norris
07-18-2009, 11:42 PM
What do I have to do, drill a 4" hole in the lower door and hook my 4" hose to that?

Thats what I did and it works great.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=79978

Mike Cruz
07-19-2009, 8:24 AM
Thanks, Lance, looks like a great solution. BTW, what HP dust collector are you running for dust collection on your band saw?

Chris Damm
07-19-2009, 8:34 AM
[QUOTE=Mike Cruz;1176491]

[QUOTE]

I cut a hole for a 5" right angle adapter for mine and it works great. I have no dust inside the saw anymore and the adaptor keeps the hose out of my way.

Kevin Groenke
07-19-2009, 10:13 AM
I tried all sorts of things over the years with varying results. The eventual solution is effective and unobtrusive. The dust is captured directly below the tabletop, so it never gets trapped between the the blade and the tire. The hose comes out the back, so it doesn't get in you're way. The shroud does not interfere with tilting the table.

Ours are on Delta 14" saws, but I'm sure the concept can be applied to any saw. This solution may be dependent upon significant CFM, I don't know how well it would work with a smallish collector or a lot of hose

A shop vac at the bottom of the machine just isn't going to be effective, try to make something that will capture the dust/chips AT THE SOURCE.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=719012&postcount=18

Lance Norris
07-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks, Lance, looks like a great solution. BTW, what HP dust collector are you running for dust collection on your band saw?

Mike I have a Grizzly G0548 2HP canister. The 4" port is a simple mod and works great. There is a little dust left on top of the table, but thats it.

glenn bradley
07-19-2009, 1:48 PM
I did this on my Griz. The rigid flex stays where you aim it and I use it above or below. I hae enough suck so that just being in the ballpark takes care of the chips. I've got the parts to do a similar setup on my smaller BS but haven't gotten around to it yet.