PDA

View Full Version : Wide Belt vs. Drum Sander

Daryl Henderson
07-17-2009, 12:31 PM
I know a wide belt sander is what you want but...

Is a wide belt sander that much better than the closed ended drum sander in a non production/hobby shop considering the difference in cost?

I see that Grizzly has their G1066Z dual drum variable speed 24" sander on for $1795 w/free shipping.

The 15" 5hp open ended wide belt sander (G9983) is $3495, and the 3hp model (G0644) for $2334.

The 18" closed end model (G0527) is $4195.

That is a big jump from $1795 to $4195! Are they that much better?

Also, is the 18" closed WB sander better than th 15" open ended model considering you lose some width capacity since you can't flip the stock.

What would you consider the minimum width necessary when doing doors, etc.?

Ed Hazel
07-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Good questions,

I would like to purchase the G9983 but I just do not have the room unless I put it on a roller base but it weighs in a 1000 lbs an it looks top heavy, so I was thinking maybe the 16" dual drum sander G1079r but have not found much in terms of a recommendation.

I have never used a drum sander I have used a wide belt sander and it is sweet.

I have a stroke sander that works well for wide panels but does not fill the need for longer boards. 99% of the sanding I need done is on boards 4 inches wide an under.
Recommendations on the sanders mention by Daryl and the G1079r 16 inch dual drum and G0459 12 inch baby drum would be greatly appreciated.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-17-2009, 2:24 PM
I know a wide belt sander is what you want but...

Is a wide belt sander that much better than the closed ended drum sander in a non production/hobby shop considering the difference in cost?

In a word: Yah.

In the same sense that a Mercedes is way better than a Kia.
Both get you to the store.

Bruce Page
07-17-2009, 2:43 PM
If price and electrical power requirements were not in the equation I would have a wide belt sander. That said, I am very happy with my Woodmaster DS.

Jeff Duncan
07-17-2009, 5:19 PM
A widebelt is really not even comparable to a drum sander. A better analogy might be a Snowplow to a snowthrower. They'll both get you there, but one is going to do it a lot faster and a lot cleaner. Did I mention widebelts are faster???
I have a dual drum sander and it gets the job done. But it takes much longer to do the work, maybe 4x longer depending on the job. Have to replace the sandpaper? Takes a couple leisurely minutes on a widebelt, a drum sander maybe 15-20 minutes to remove the roll of paper cut the next lengths and install them.
Then of course there's the improved quality depending on whether you get one with a platen or not. I won't even go into the fun stuff like segmented platens or scotchbrite wheels for finish scuffing, different budget altogether.
In short, if this is for a hobby shop I envy you for even being able to consider a widebelt. I'm in my 9th year of being in business and I still don't have a widebelt. I take my stuff down the road to a buddies shop. I think the average hobbiest would be fine with a drum sander.
good luck,
JeffD

Leigh Betsch
07-17-2009, 5:24 PM
I a hobbiest and have a Woodmaster Drum Sander but no agrument a good widebelt would be much better. One thing to keep in mind, some of those belts can get pretty expensive.

Mike Henderson
07-17-2009, 7:28 PM
Like Jeff D. I have access to a widebelt sander and they are *wonderful*. Not only do they save a lot of time, but the panel comes out flat. But (sigh) there's no way I'll ever own one.

Mike

Karl Brogger
07-17-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm not a hobbyist, but if you have the means to own one, then yes they are that much better. you're better off buying a used Timesavers brand widebelt then probably anything made in Taiwan. Although my sander was made in Asia, and imported by Timesavers. The motors or off/odd brand, and I'm sure the rest of the electonics are no better, but it'll get me by till I can afford a 43" dual head.

Mike Heidrick
07-18-2009, 9:07 AM
Karl, do you have the speed saver?

Brian Brightwell
07-18-2009, 11:04 AM
I made a deal on a jet 25inch wide belt sander. Very good condition to like new. I pick it up Monday. $2600.
I looked at used wide belts at 3-k Machinery in New Albany Indiana. Very nice people. The mechanic showed me things to look for when buying used sanders.
I went to look at a Sandingmaster 37 inch,20 Hp,2300 Lbs. I did not buy it because it had no platen. The price was $4500.

Mike Cutler
07-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Daryl

The widebelt is the better way too go,no doubts there, but don't be lulled into thinking a dual drum sander(DD) isn't a viable option. I have the Steel City 26" dual Drum Sander,and it's a beast. One pass on both sides and all planer marks are removed. I can sand a resawn face in a single pass, or two, maybe three passes with finer grits to a final finish at 150 grit.
It won't leave a finish as nice as a widebelt, but at half the cost, and a little time spent with a cabinet/card scraper the surface is ready to go.
In a production environment the machines are set up for runs. In a home shop everything, almost, is a "one off" operation and a drum sander can be a pretty versatile tool to have available. At 1/2 the cost for twice the capacity in width, I find the drum sander an economical replacement both in time and money.
I know some folks have trouble changing the paper on a drum sander, but I can have the paper replaced in a matter of minutes on mine, and on the Performax it replaced. Once a template is made for replacement strips, they can be cut really fast. The widebelt is quicker to change, but the cost is also greater for the abrasive material.
Look at the availability of third party replacement abrasive belts, and strips no matter which way you go. Some manufacturers have some funny sizes that have to be made to order and cost a little bit more that off the shelf more common sizes.
I like my DD sander. Would I like to have a widebelt? absolutely, but for me the DD does what I need.

Karl Brogger
07-23-2009, 8:34 PM
Karl, do you have the speed saver?

Sorry, been outta town for the past week.

Yep, Speed Sander, imported by Timesavers Inc. Decent unit, super cheap at $7500 new, does what I ask of it, and haven't had a break down yet. (Fingers crossed)

lou sansone
07-26-2009, 3:15 PM
I have a 37" timesavers widebelt and love it. one of the most used tools in my hobby shop. look for a good used one and you wont be sorry

lou