PDA

View Full Version : Day 2 of the knife box project - PICS*

Dennis Peacock
09-01-2004, 2:08 AM
Well, I got more done today than I had expected. I cut several "trial cuts" since my template was correct now AND I finally worked out a router bit and guide bushing combo what works just great. :D

Pics:

1. My router "duo" that allows me some "flex" in cutting via templates. Both are GREAT routers. This is a cut in some White Oak as I wanted to see how hard it was going to be in working this by hand for the final fitting since the "real wood" will be Gaboon Ebony.

2. Gotta clean out the corners after the routing. I hate round corners and so does the knife maker.!!! ;)

3. This is where I spent MOST of the 12 hours today...at the bench. You get to see a small glimps of the knife sitting in the cutout that I just finished the hand work on.

4. My 2nd Proto-type Box of the day!!! First one was a disaster. This one came out rather nicely. The wood is poplar and machines really nicely. You can also see the TOP of the box. It's not an exact mirror of the bottom of the box since the knife is different on both sides. The fit is nice and when lined with Black Velvet, it is a nice firm "slip fit" of the knife into the box.

BTW, the knife makers name is Ron Newton of Russellville, AR. Thanks for looking and most of all....Thank You for your encouragement!!!!!

Greg Mann
09-01-2004, 6:33 AM
2 AM!! ;)

Dennis, don't forget that sleep is one of the best tools in your arsenal.

Greg

Dennis Peacock
09-01-2004, 11:05 AM
2 AM!! ;)

Dennis, don't forget that sleep is one of the best tools in your arsenal.

Greg

Thanks for reminding me Greg.!!! I really don't like working in the shop on something this stressful when I'm tired....but I have to, for now, at least until all the "real" stuff arrives and then I'll work on it during the days that I'm off work. Thank you Greg....to me, you are saying, I care about another woodworker that I've never met and I also care about the project he is working on. <b>Thank You!!!!</b>

Steve Jenkins
09-01-2004, 11:30 AM
Dennis it looks like you are making good progress on your box.be sure to spend all the time you need on your template. It is a bunch easier to sand/shape the template than the solid stock. Too often we tend to say close enough then spend an extra couple hours after routing. Hang in there and keep plugging away. Steve

Dennis Peacock
09-01-2004, 12:37 PM
Dennis it looks like you are making good progress on your box.be sure to spend all the time you need on your template. It is a bunch easier to sand/shape the template than the solid stock. Too often we tend to say close enough then spend an extra couple hours after routing. Hang in there and keep plugging away. Steve

Thanks Steve.!! The work on the box will be slow for the next 4 days due to me working 10-12 hour days this week. Sleep time is needed and that will leave precious little time for shop. Fortunately.....the owner of the Sewing Machine notified me that they won't be coming until October instead of September!!!! WHEW!!!! A little more breathing room!!!!! ;)

Dennis Peacock
09-01-2004, 12:40 PM
Just wanted to ask......Should I keep posting pics and progress of this project or should I stop and only post the finished project? Just want to know what the overall vote is here as I don't want to post when nobody is interested. ;)

Dan Mages
09-01-2004, 1:26 PM
Please keep posting. This is quite educational for an amateur hack, like my self!

Dan

Bobby McCarley
09-01-2004, 1:35 PM
Dennis,
By all means, keep the pictures coming.

Bobby McCarley
Louisiana

James Giordano
09-01-2004, 1:43 PM
I'm just a newbie woodworker and I have been lurking around here for a while.:cool: .
I have been learning quite a lot from you regulars here and I would like to see your work in progress. I find it interesting and informational. Plus I just like to look at the pretty pictures.:D

I have to tell you, the router has not been my friend:( . I can use the table o.k. but I don't know anything about templates and such. I intend to learn all about it eventually as I feel that a router is an absolutely neccessary tool to master. It is so very versatile. I used my router table to cut some mortises recently and the results were excellent:) ( my first m&t joints for a project).Maybe you could show me what your templates look like and how you use them.

Dennis Peacock
09-01-2004, 2:26 PM
I'm just a newbie woodworker and I have been lurking around here for a while.:cool: .
I have been learning quite a lot from you regulars here and I would like to see your work in progress. I find it interesting and informational. Plus I just like to look at the pretty pictures.:D

I have to tell you, the router has not been my friend:( . I can use the table o.k. but I don't know anything about templates and such. I intend to learn all about it eventually as I feel that a router is an absolutely neccessary tool to master. It is so very versatile. I used my router table to cut some mortises recently and the results were excellent:) ( my first m&t joints for a project).Maybe you could show me what your templates look like and how you use them.

Welcome to the Creek James.!!!!

If you go to Page 2 of the message threads....You'll find <b>Day 1</b> of the knife box project. There you will see how I lay out the pattern, cut it out on the scrollsaw, then spend a few hours sanding and filing on the pattern to get it exactly correct. If you follow each days reports I post (won't be one today), you'll get a good idea of what all I'm doing. Router by hand and pattern.....really easy and I'll show you how by this weekend.!!! :D

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-01-2004, 2:31 PM
I vote to keep the updates coming Dennis. That is, of course, as long as it doesn't get in the way of the project and family time. I am almost as worked up about this project as you are! :eek:

Just take your time, get plenty of needed rest, and everything else will take care of itself. (Sounds simple, don't it?) :D

Dennis Peacock
09-01-2004, 2:38 PM
I vote to keep the updates coming Dennis. That is, of course, as long as it doesn't get in the way of the project and family time. I am almost as worked up about this project as you are! :eek:

Just take your time, get plenty of needed rest, and everything else will take care of itself. (Sounds simple, don't it?) :D

How about that Twister Box you are installing? Got it done yet???? :p :)

I go back to work today and the long hours will definately prevent me from getting a lot done until after church on Sunday. At most, I'll get 2 hours each day until Sunday afternoon. But <b>if my stuff doesn't get here, I'm S U N K !!!!!!</B> My nerves are about shot and I can't half sleep at night thinking about this B O X !!!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

John Miliunas
09-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Keep the progress pics coming, Dennis! :) It's a great learning experience for all and kind of gladdens my heart knowing the a WW of 30+ years still needs to take a LOT of time to get something perfect! :) Mind you, a lot of MY stuff is NOT perfect, but STILL takes a long time! :rolleyes: Keep it up, you're doing GREAT! :cool:

Jim Ketron
09-01-2004, 11:48 PM
Keep them pics rolling on in Dennis
I want to see how you make the Hinges!
This is a interesting project!!
Jim

Jerry Olexa
09-01-2004, 11:49 PM
Keep posting. We like your taking time to show us your project and progress.We shop fanatics love to see projects in action. Thanks, Jerry

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-01-2004, 11:58 PM
The "Twister Box" will be done tomorrow, and the shop realignment will be, for the most, part complete. Unless everything goes south tomorrow, I will have some pictures of the new Cyclone Installation. It's about time too...........I have a powerful hankerin' to turn some things. Dennis, quit sweatin' this box....................things will turn out just fine. Clear your mind before you go to bed.................that isn't helping get the box complete, is it? You're gonna keep messin' around until I have to call the LOYL..........then you will be in BIG trouble! :D

Tyler Howell
09-02-2004, 6:35 AM
No pressure here Dennis, We do this for fun.:cool:

Tom LaRussa
09-02-2004, 10:45 AM
Just wanted to ask......Should I keep posting pics and progress of this project or should I stop and only post the finished project? Just want to know what the overall vote is here as I don't want to post when nobody is interested. ;)
Dennis,

Keep posting, so long as doing so doesn't interfere with getting the project done, sleep, or stuff like that. ;) If you get (more) pushed for time, maybe you could just snap the pics now and then post them in a bunch when the ordeal is over?

John Olson
09-03-2004, 12:26 AM
I love to look. It also gives me a break from building GKars new home. He is getting big quick.