PDA

View Full Version : Packaging your products

Mike Christen
07-17-2009, 8:24 AM
Hello all

I was curious what everyone does for packaging of their products. I'm not talking about large production items but rather the smaller one up, or maybe up too 40 items. It would be nice to have a nice package but the cost so far is prohibitive. Thinkin if I put some items in smaller stores it would be nice to have a package.

Dee Gallo
07-17-2009, 8:59 AM
I buy various size and shape boxes from Uline. They make a lot of sizes in a nice white finish which are not too expensive at all. If you got ambitious, you could engrave them, but I usually make stickers or decals.

cheers, dee

Doug Griffith
07-17-2009, 10:03 AM
I use Uline as well and have also used www.theboxdepot.com (http://www.theboxdepot.com).

Clear acetate boxes are fairly cheap and show off the product well. You can then print up an insert. Use clear round stickers to seal it shut. Use clear gummy dots to hold the product in place. Attached is a box/insert for a product I used to manufacture.

George Brown
07-17-2009, 11:04 AM
I use Uline as well and have also used www.theboxdepot.com (http://www.theboxdepot.com).

Clear acetate boxes are fairly cheap and show off the product well. You can then print up an insert. Use clear round stickers to seal it shut. Use clear gummy dots to hold the product in place. Attached is a box/insert for a product I used to manufacture.

Nice product/packaging, looks real professional.

John Noell
07-17-2009, 3:57 PM
For our jewelry we use Uline boxes (relatively cheap - altho to get them into Fiji costs about 5 times the base USA price) and hockey puck holders (very sturdy).

Mike Christen
07-17-2009, 9:25 PM
Thank you all for the great ideas and examples.

Joe Pelonio
07-17-2009, 10:51 PM
I do production rather than retail work mostly, but I keep a couple of rolls of different sizes of stretch wrap. I get it at Uline as I do boxes, but in a pinch Staples and Office Depot have it too.

AL Ursich
07-18-2009, 12:02 AM
I bought rolls of Shrink Tube in 10 and 14 inch wide and the sealer and cutter. I place the signs under my heat press with newspaper over it letting the 380 degree press just above it, shrink it.

You should not do this for Sublimated material.

It's not perfect but customers like it.

AL

Paul Perkinson
07-18-2009, 6:41 AM
I still use Uline for some items, but mostly go to http://www.staplesindustrial.com/ any more. They carry the products I use the most for a lot less than Uline. Sometimes the items in the "Clearance Center" are unbelievably cheap.

Mike Null
07-18-2009, 7:34 AM
Wish I had known about that sooner. Their free freight offer would save me 50% over U-line.

Scott Shepherd
07-18-2009, 8:36 AM
Doug, really nicely done! Thanks for sharing.

Doug Griffith
07-18-2009, 3:57 PM
Thanks George and Scott. It was a cheap solution that I could do almost completely in house. The same packaging with different colored inserts was used for different products as well.

Also, to help fold the inserts, I laser cut a multi-stage folding jig. If I can find it, I'll post a pic.

Cheers,
Doug