PDA

View Full Version : Ya gotta' love 'em but there are days

Michael Cody
08-31-2004, 11:55 PM
Reading about new babies and remembering #1 son sleeping his first night on my chest since he wouldn't sleep in the cradle I built.... then thinking that was only 16 years ago -- seems like last week. Here are some pic's of his summer project:

http://www.mdcody.addr.com/zackmotor.jpg <p>
http://www.mdcody.addr.com/truck1.jpg <p>
http://www.mdcody.addr.com/truck2.jpg <p>

I helped him prep the engine and build it up, but when the cam was in and the valves set.. the rest was up to him. His buddy & him put on the manifolds, carb, ring gear, flywheel, put in the engine, rewired a new (non-emiss) ignition system, hooked everything up, etc.. and dang'd if it didn't actually run - well! Note the pile of left-over ignition & vacuum parts in the 3rd pic, all those hoses & such on the floor, under the shelves, were part of the Ford nightmare emission controls..

Then just when I am thinking he's a good kid, he does this:

http://www.mdcody.addr.com/carkilled.jpg

Oh well no one was hurt, the cop let him off with only a failure to yield, I got 100$ from local salvage yard for it. But now that the truck is running he's got time to work on the body (IE 2 new fenders) and such since he's grounded for a while!! But then again , driving him everywhere is a real PIA ...

Chris Padilla
09-01-2004, 11:26 AM
I pulled one of those on my folks and wrecked my dad's truck. Sometimes we kids just get stuff in our head and think we can handle it...and some times, well, we don't handle it so well.... :o

Kevin Beck
09-01-2004, 2:50 PM
Yes, teenagers are frustrating to endure. We have a 15 year old that I believe is trying to drive me insane (short drive I guess). I'm an identical twin and grew up on a farm in the sticks of Northwest Florida so there isn't much mischief we didn't get into. I stay frustrated with my oldest (argh!!!!!!) but then I think of the stupid stuff my brother and I did (and lived) and I am able to cope without having a blood vessel burst (so far at least).

Thank goodness my parents didn't have internet forums to share my mistakes with others :D

Any advice on dealing with lazy, unmotivated, surly 15 year-olds would be welcome :mad:

I've considered starvation diets and the French Foreign Legion already and the LOML has nixed those. She is just too soft on the boy ;)

Kevin

Tony Falotico
09-01-2004, 9:11 PM
Great summer project for a young man. I remember my first car was a summer re-build, a 1960 something Simca (a French import) Bought two of them, one with a blown engine ($25) and one was wrecked (rear-ended) (think we gave $50 for that one). Took 'em both apart and re-built one that ran (for several months!). Was a great project for me and my Dad, a great learning experience for me.

Anyway, as far as the white one, good news no one was hurt, hopefully it will serve as a good wake up call for him. My son never so much as scratched any of HIS cars, but wrecked three of MINE! Two at once when he backed my wife's van into my Brand New Ford Ranger! Then after it was fixed he sideswiped another truck (while pulling MY boat) and damaged the driver's side headlight to tail light, not missing an inch in between!

Needless to say, he didn't drive any more of MY vehicles for a few years.

Jim McFall
09-01-2004, 9:27 PM
My son is no longer a teenager. Good thing too, I never could have lasted much longer. Somehow they seem to know just where the buttons are and how to push them for maximum response !! A little story if you don't mind. (you should know that I am sort of a spur of the moment type of guy)
One fall day my teenage son was hanging around the house and I said to him
"get in the truck and we'll take a ride", He asked where, and I said you'll see.
I took him to the cemetery where my dad is burried. He said" this is where Grampa is burried , isn't it?"
I said" Yes, this is where I come when I need money, how much do you think I leave here with????"
I went on to tell him he better get his act together cause tomorrow is promised to no man and I could be right next to his Grandpa with no notice at all.
He got the message and things got better, not overnight but sooner than they would had if we had not made that trip, I think.

rest assured that they pretty much all turn out okay (we did I guess)

Sorry for rambling. Jim :)

Tony Falotico
09-01-2004, 9:35 PM
rest assured that they pretty much all turn out okay

Your right Jim, but the wait is trying to say the least!

Bob Hovde
09-02-2004, 9:07 AM
My dad told me that kids raise themselves while their parents are going crazy. :) Somehow, all three of mine got through it O.K.

Bob

Michael Stafford
09-02-2004, 8:39 PM
When my boy got his first jalopy I explained to him that it was a magic car. "What do you mean, Dad?" he says. "The first time I hear of you screwing around in it or getting a ticket I will make it disappear and you will be back on the bus". Well he never got a ticket and as far as I know he has always driven responsibly. That's about all you can hope for.