PDA

View Full Version : How do I fix this in a winged bowl

Eric Sears
07-16-2009, 8:36 PM
Long time reader, never really poster here before, but I've used a lot of the advice. I did this piece last nite and I had a really hard time with one part of it.

http://www.fluxback.com/P1070273.JPG

In the area right above the winged part, I couldn't get rid of the small rounded curve. The whole piece is maybe 4"w x 6"l. My bowl gouge couldn't get in there nor a scraper.

curtis rosche
07-16-2009, 8:47 PM
try a skew layed on its side, or a parting tool.

Mike Minto
07-16-2009, 9:19 PM
Hand held sander! :)

Jim Underwood
07-16-2009, 10:01 PM
Skew, yeah. That'd do it.

So would a spindle gouge laid on it's side.

And a scraper would do it too, although you'd have to grind it with less than a 90 on the end.

Even a bowl gouge with a fingernail grind might do, if it's been ground with a sharp point.

My first inclination though, is to ask why you want a perfectly square corner? Why not have a graceful curve in it? *Oh. I see, you're trying to follow the curve of the bowl below the wing. Nevermind.

Richard Madison
07-17-2009, 12:14 AM
Hey Eric, Welcome (back) to the forum. 'Bout time to start showing your stuff.

Could use a parting tool as Curtis suggested, but would need to grind it so the tip was skewed a bit since the bowl side is sloped.

Steve Schlumpf
07-17-2009, 9:21 AM
Skew or a spear point scraper would be able to create a sharp corner. Make sure the tool is freshly sharpened and use very light cuts to save on sanding later.

Nice looking winged bowl so far. Looking forward to seeing the finished version!

Kyle Iwamoto
07-17-2009, 5:22 PM
Just turn the parting tool on it's side?

The bowl looks almost finished. How are you going to turn it? Vacuum chuck? I have to build one of those chucks someday. I have a winged bowl that is finished and I'm not happy with it.