PDA

View Full Version : Question for Bosch 1617EVSPK router users

Louis Brandt
07-16-2009, 8:01 PM
Hello,

I have just begun to use my new Bosch 1617EVSPK router. I’m using the fixed base at this time. This question has to do with adjusting the depth of the bit.

I can’t get the depth of the bit to be exactly what I want unless I DON’T use the fine adjustment feature of the router. I can get it to the correct depth if I simply unlock the base clamp lever and raise or lower the motor to where I want it, then lock the base clamp.

BUT, when I do this, I’m NOT using what Bosch calls the “coarse adjustment feature”, that is, I’m not moving the motor position to one of the three “notches” in the motor housing. I’m just moving the motor to where I want it, then locking the base clamp at that point.

Is it ok, NOT to position the motor at one of the three notches?

Thanks,
Louis

Mike Henderson
07-16-2009, 9:07 PM
If it works and doesn't move when you're using it, I say "Go for it!".

But I have the same unit and don't have any problems using the adjusters. You might see if you can take it to Bosch service and see why it's not working right.

Mike

Bill Huber
07-16-2009, 9:25 PM
Is the pin in the base?

You line up the arrow on the motor with the one on the base and then start it going down as you turn the motor.

Then it should click into the first stop, at that point you can turn the knob to adjust it to the height you want and then lock the motor.

Now if you can not adjust it down as far as need then you unlatch the motor, press in on the stop and lower the motor to the middle stop. Then adjust the knob as needed, latch the motor and you are set.

Again if you can not lower the motor enough you unlatch the motor press in on the stop lever and lower the motor to the last or lower stop and adjust the know as needed, lock the motor and you ready to go.

Steve Southwood
07-16-2009, 9:32 PM
Mine had the e-ring mislocated. It was down the shaft too far and the adjustment wouldn't work. Popped the e-ring where it goes and the adjustments work great.

Louis Brandt
07-16-2009, 9:37 PM
Thanks,
It's working ok now. I guess that I just didn't take the time to do it properly.
Thanks,
Louis

Bill Huber
07-16-2009, 9:42 PM
You may want to take a look at this thread on the base, replace the snap ring with a collar and it will never pop off.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=62437&highlight=bosch

Steve Southwood
07-17-2009, 8:20 AM
Good idea Bill, will have to do that to mine.

Gary Muto
07-17-2009, 9:50 AM
You may want to take a look at this thread on the base, replace the snap ring with a collar and it will never pop off.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=62437&highlight=bosch
Thanks for the tip. I noticed that thes nap ring on mine looked like a potato chip and I couldn't seat it all the way. I figured it was an anomaly:rolleyes:. Then I thought that it's going to be fun to get a replacement when this thing falls off. I have drill bit stop collar that should fit and I can at least use that in a pinch. It wouldn't have occurred to me.