PDA

View Full Version : Lines showing up on laser work

David Arana
07-16-2009, 5:44 PM
Hi, I tried doing a search about this but didnt really find the information I was looking for.

I got a job to laser some tiles. And for some reason, I have almost 50% of the tiles getting a strange line on them like this.

Anybody know what I may be doing wrong? :confused:

Thanks for any help!

(Edit) I was doing this on photoshop. laser system is epilog mini 18, 25 watt. settings were 15speed, 100power, 300 dpi.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s39/Bardman2007/lines.jpg

Dave Johnson29
07-16-2009, 7:13 PM
I have almost 50% of the tiles getting a strange line on them like this.

Hi David,

Looks like it might be an artifact from the printer driver. Is the line always in the same place?

Are you using the USB connection? People have had problems with that in the past. If the mini has an Ethernet port then use that as it seems to give a lot less issues.

In any case I would reboot everything.

Bruce Volden
07-16-2009, 7:21 PM
Dave

I doubt you're doing anything wrong. It looks to me like your laser "tickle" is triggering. I don't really know where to start but were it happening to me I would measure my power supply (DC side) and make sure it is correct. Also then I would leave the leads connected on the meter to power supply and monitor while it is running a file to see if there is any fluctuation. It could be several things from a DC power supply, MOBO (mother board).... When in doubt call tech support. Keeps us informed.

Bruce

David Arana
07-16-2009, 8:48 PM
The lines are random, and if it happens, it has only done it once per row of tiles. For example I had one good run of the top row of tiles.. and then the second row got the lines.
Im gonna do a test again tommorow and test it out on Corel.

John Noell
07-17-2009, 12:59 AM
It may well be the tickle and Epilog tech support can give you precise directions on setting it. HOWEVER, I have had a VERY similar issue with my Mini 18 and it was MUCH worse on occasion. Only rastering was affected and it always vectored okay. With a tip from an Epilog tech, I tracked it down to the single socketed (unsoldered) chip on the circuit board. It is relatively easy to get to by removing the right hand side panel. The square chip in the socket can be either pressed firmly in or slightly (carefully) pried out just a but and then pushed back in. Hope this helps!

David Arana
07-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Well after failing through 4 attempts and different settings and making sure everything was correct, dpi, printing, power supply.
I gave up and called Epilog.
And turned out it was that my firmware was out of date.
So I updated and everything is running great so far!

so for the moment! Problem solved!!:)

Roy Brewer
07-19-2009, 11:41 PM
And turned out it was that my firmware was out of date.David,
But we're still wondering if you are running USB?

Garrett Nors
07-20-2009, 1:08 AM
David,
But we're still wondering if you are running USB?

Is a networked connection superior over USB for any reason?

John Noell
07-20-2009, 1:57 AM
Is a networked connection superior over USB for any reason?
Many people find that they have far fewer random problems when using Ethernet instead of USB.

Garrett Nors
07-20-2009, 2:52 AM
Many people find that they have far fewer random problems when using Ethernet instead of USB.

I for one haven't found one, we've been "networked" for a long time. I like being able to easily send jobs from multiple computers..it just made sense :D

David Arana
07-20-2009, 11:43 AM
Sorry for the late reply on the usb question, I've been at the beach for 2 days. Yes I still run usb. Since I called epilog and got the firmware updated. I have had no more problems. :)

Roy Brewer
07-21-2009, 12:24 AM
Is a networked connection superior over USB for any reason?Garret,
Ethernet significantly superior, if that's the question. If the question is "why," the answer(s) is(are) well beyond this forum thread. But suffice it to say that the built in, multi layered error checking provided by Ethernet is why it is used by the Internet.

The more complex the computing environment is, the more likely one is going to have a problem with USB. The more printers & other devices hooked to USB ports, the more programs in memory the more applications functioning in the background(accessing RAM, devices, ports), etc., the more likely you're going to have "noise" or completely lose a USB connection(no longer found in device manager) forcing at least a warm boot.

That's why most tech support calls start off with "are you using USB or Ethernet?" If the answer is "USB" then often the technician will say "that could be the problem, can you see if Ethernet cures the problem?" If the answer is "Ethernet," then the technician knows it's not communication and gets serious about solving the problem.

As before, many will respond that they've always used USB and have never had a problem. That's great, but I've terminated scores of unexplained issues by simply switching to Ethernet (both laser/mechanical engravers, plotters, etc.).

Dave Johnson29
07-21-2009, 10:22 AM
And turned out it was that my firmware was out of date.
So I updated and everything is running great so far!

David,

Before the firmware upgrade did you actually try the Ethernet?

If not then I for one am not convinced it was the firmware given the frequency problems are solved here by switching to the Ethernet connection.

David Arana
07-21-2009, 11:52 AM
I never tested the ethernet.