PDA

View Full Version : Contact Your Senators and Crongressman if you Visit DC - Tours!

Dan Mages
07-16-2009, 5:42 PM
I just want to pass along a little advice for those who might visit DC in the future. The first thing you need to do is call your local representatives in Washington and ask about Congressional tours. LOML and I will be heading to DC tomorrow and will have tours of The Capitol, Supreme Court, State Dept's diplomatic reception rooms, and The White House courtesy of Senators Dodd and Lieberman's offices. Sometimes the tours are more indepth than normal tours. For example, the Capitol tour will be given by a member of Senator Lieberman's staff.

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

Dan

Jim Becker
07-16-2009, 8:26 PM
Excellent advice, Dan.

I hope you don't mind, but I slightly adjusted the title of your thread to avoid any misunderstanding about its nature. And I remind others that this is not a political thread--'just a public service message that is helpful for folks planning on visiting the nation's capital.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Frank Hagan
07-17-2009, 1:29 AM
We need to go back ... our DC trip was in 2004 and everything was locked down tighter than a drum (tours at the Capitol were very hard to get).

That's good advice, though.

Bob Vavricka
07-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Just got back from a conference in the DC area (National Harbor in MD) and my daughter and SIL went along to go site seeing. My SIL had never been there so might daughter had fun showing him around. If you want to go up in the Washington Monument, you have to get a ticket (free). You can either get there--around 7:00 a.m and wait in line for a ticket or you can get them online if order them a couple of weeks in advance. Online they cost $1.50 each. Same way with the Bureau of Printing and Engraving get there early to get a free ticket--you can't get them online as far as I know. Still it was a fun trip for them.
Bob V.

Daniel Berlin
07-17-2009, 4:25 PM
I just want to pass along a little advice for those who might visit DC in the future. The first thing you need to do is call your local representatives in Washington and ask about Congressional tours. LOML and I will be heading to DC tomorrow and will have tours of The Capitol, Supreme Court, State Dept's diplomatic reception rooms, and The White House courtesy of Senators Dodd and Lieberman's offices. Sometimes the tours are more indepth than normal tours. For example, the Capitol tour will be given by a member of Senator Lieberman's staff.

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

Dan

Not to burst your bubble slightly, but Capital tours are done by interns, that's what they mean by "staff". (This is tradition, and one of the things the very large number of hill interns DC gets this time of year do almost exclusively)

I'm sure you'll enjoy it though.

Dan Mages
07-18-2009, 9:18 AM
Excellent advice, Dan.

I hope you don't mind, but I slightly adjusted the title of your thread to avoid any misunderstanding about its nature. And I remind others that this is not a political thread--'just a public service message that is helpful for folks planning on visiting the nation's capital.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Thanks Jim. I just wanted to let everyone know that their representatives are good for something. ;)

Not to burst your bubble slightly, but Capital tours are done by interns, that's what they mean by "staff". (This is tradition, and one of the things the very large number of hill interns DC gets this time of year do almost exclusively)

I'm sure you'll enjoy it though.

I was actually expecting this. It is better than a visitor center tour with 30+ other people.