PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about this Government Uni

David Schmaus
07-16-2009, 5:41 PM
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=2512446&convertTo=USD

I live a mile from here and was thinking about this saw. Im looking for more info on the saw based on the pics... I'm doing the research right now on google but was hoping an expert could tell me more from the pics.

Here are some of my thoughts.

Cleaned up would this a great saw or just one to get me buy..

I plan on adding a Incra fence so the fence on it isnt too important.

Thank you

Kyle Iwamoto
07-16-2009, 7:47 PM
The brown rust scares me. That is probably some pretty deep rust. Black would be less scary. You already committed to buy a new fence AND rails, so that's not a concern as you said. Don't forget to add all the "little" things, like a miter gage, blade, belt set, extension wings etc. Maybe someone with more experience with Unis can give you a better idea on how old it is, but I thnk that fence/rail system is really old.

Can you take a look at it? If the rust is deep, I'd pass even on the start bid...... Rust is a lot of work...

Mike Henderson
07-16-2009, 7:57 PM
It looks good to me. The rust would have to be exceptionally bad to make that top unusable. As long as the top is flat, rust pitting is not going to cause any problems. And, to my eye, it does not look like really bad rust.

The question I'd have is whether the motor works, and whether it's three phase or single phase. Bearings on the arbor can be replaced so I wouldn't worry about those too much.

If you can get it cheap, I'd say "go".

Mike

David Schmaus
07-16-2009, 8:03 PM
I setup a appointment to see it on Monday. I would say if everything checks out and I can pick it up for $150 Im good to go...

Rod Upfold
07-16-2009, 8:24 PM
Don't try to be a bottom feeder or you will lose the unisaw. Don't let the rust scare you - look at some "pictures" of a restored unisaw from OWWM.

It's not my saw - it was submitted by a chap name walnut_charlie to the OWWM forum. Although I do own a 1955 unisaw.

http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?t=42355&highlight=unisaw+restoration

Rod

Pete Bradley
07-16-2009, 8:58 PM
Usually Uncle Sam likes to age the machines outside for longer than this one's got, but I'd still be cautious. If you can look at it, look for broken/missing parts inside. Also it may be 3 phase, so consider how you'll power it. If you can't look at it and it's really cheap (<250), it might still be worth it.

Don't buy it because you might "lose" it or because of pictures of beautiful restos. Walnut Charlie did a great job and I've got a 1940 that's also squeaky clean now, but both of us would tell you it's easy to underestimate the cost of a restoration, and that major broken parts and/or a motor you can't use can make an overpriced fixer more expensive than a new saw.

Pete

george wilson
07-16-2009, 10:28 PM
The idiots leave all kinds of nice machines out doors. The rust will clean off surprisingly well if you can get it indoors soon. Looks like only 1 door is gone. It doesn't look like it ever had much use. No nicks in the paint,if I recall the pics.

In Richmond surplus,they had a stack of white pine shelving lumber 6' tall,no stickers,piled outside. When I saw it first,it was getting gray and starting to check on the ends pretty bad. Rather than reduce their price,they let that lumber turn into a mound of earth.

Alex Shanku
07-17-2009, 7:39 AM
I bought my first jointer from them.

The rust on the beds was much worse.

After about 2 hours of cleaning it looked amazing.

Worry about the mechanicals, IMO.

Rod Sheridan
07-17-2009, 8:04 AM
The condition code is H7 which states that the item is unservicable and does not meet repair criteria..........Whatever that means..........Rod.

Chip Lindley
07-17-2009, 11:05 AM
THREE worries: A fried motor! (doubtful) is it 3-phase? (still doubtful) No motor? (Hmmmm) The saw has no LVC box on the back, which almost completely negates 3-ph. I am betting its a 1.5hp. saw that runs on 115/230V. 3hp and 5hp Uni's have LVC, OR the newer *cheapie* Chinese starter box on the front. This Uni has neither!

That missing dust door Hacks Me Off! There must be a crater on Mars FILLED with these! Every other Uni on eBay is missing it's dust door! And sellers get around $100 for a used one! Pfffttt! (GOVERNMENT being the way it is, that missing dust door may render the saw Environmentally Hazardous! (Unusable!)

Cosmetically, the saw is VERY FINE! That rusted top will clean up very easily! The saw has not been abused, and may NEVER have been in service. Factor in the chance you may have to buy another motor, and You've got yourself a very nice Unisaw!

If you CAN inspect the saw before it sells, Don't Miss That Chance!

David Schmaus
07-17-2009, 12:23 PM
I just setup my preview appointment for next Thursday. The site manager has never seen the saw so he was no insight

I started looking at the descriptions of the other two saws for sale. One is a 3 phase and the other says its a 1/2 HP. I bet that is a miss print and is suppose to be 1 1/2 hp. Since this listing doesn't show any motor specs I bet it is missing which has me thinking. If I have to buy a motor I might as well look at all three units and pick the one that is in the best condition. I'm assuming I can add a 3hp motor to any one of them..... Based on a quick google search a leeson delta uni replacement motor is somewhere around 300-350

Jim Rimmer
07-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Hard to tell for sure from the pics but my guess is that saw has never been in service. We are , after all, dealing with the government here. Probably bought for a shop that was being shut down. :confused:

Kyle Iwamoto
07-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Why does the rust not bother everyone else? I guess I live in the rust capitol of the world, so that looks bad to me. And the rust means that it's been outdoors for who knows how long. Rain and the water inside of the cabinet could be a problem. Anyways, I'm reposting because if you plan to replace the motor, at 300 bucks, lets do some math. 150 to start, fence (which I actually didn't price) but say another 150, add a hundred for the miter gage, and a few other misc parts. Wow, you're already up at 700 bucks and you haven't cleaned off the rust on the top...... You may be able to find a Uni in good working condition for that much money. Just be careful and don't let "bid fever" get to you. Be patient, try CL. True, you can get some awesome deals at government auctions.

A friend of mine got a 220 3hp Uni for 600 bucks because a shop upgraded to a Sawstop. Many people and shops are upgrading for the safety factor.

Pete Bradley
07-17-2009, 1:40 PM
Why does the rust not bother everyone else?
'Cause it has to be *really* bad to matter, and this one doesn't look close. Leave a machine outside, or even inside in high humidity for a while and it will look like that. Cleans right up.

Pete

Dave Lehnert
07-17-2009, 3:32 PM
Rust does not look bad at all to me. Like one of the others said above I've had equipment look like that after a humid day.

Lynn Kasdorf
07-17-2009, 5:22 PM
That looks better than most machines that the govt surplusses. That rust looks trivial. It will almost certainly be 3 phase- which is no big deal at all- just add $200-$300 to the price for a VFD, or about $100 for a RPC. Three phase motors are much more reliable than single phase- no starting switch inside.

If you look at it, look carefully at the trunnion and all the cast parts inside. Motor is not much of a worry- broken castings are.

If it was near me, I'd be all over it.