PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Hone - Dots or Dotless?

Aaron Buys
07-16-2009, 5:28 PM
I was at my local woodworking store today and was shopping for a diamond hone. I noticed there were two kinds: hones with colored dots and hones that just looked flat. The store employee there told me the hones with dots seem to last longer and that he finds the traditional flat kind to loose their abrasiveness sooner.

Can anybody tell me if this is true or exactly what the difference is between them?

Mike Minto
07-16-2009, 9:21 PM
dotless...they cost more for a reason. won't hang up or 'catch' a blade's sharp edge. mike

Leo Graywacz
07-16-2009, 10:14 PM
The holes are there so the filings have a place to go. It keeps the diamonds cleaner so the stone lasts longer. At least that is the theory.

Dale Coons
07-16-2009, 10:38 PM
and gave the dots away. i found it much easier to sharpen without catching the tool.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-16-2009, 10:45 PM
The one Alan Lacer uses in his video is sold at Craft Supplies, USA. It's 20 some dollars. I have had mine for a couple of years. It still works well.

Richard Madison
07-16-2009, 11:42 PM
May depend on source (brand name) as well as design. Have "cheap" and "not so cheap". "Not so cheap" (mine has dots) is much better, has more uniform particle size, and has lasted some years.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-17-2009, 4:01 AM
Ditto on cost. I have a Cheapo dot. It's carp. I have an expensive dotted and solid. They're great. I think the cost is the main thing......

EZ lapp is the gooder brand I think. NOT the best, but better the the *-Mart stuff

Steve Schlumpf
07-17-2009, 9:50 AM
I have both styles and they all work well. Have to agree that the quality makes the difference.

Leo Graywacz
07-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Just wondering something. Are the stones you have, have small dotted areas of diamond?

The one I have looks like a sheet of metal was punched with small holes and then the rest coated with diamond dust. The small holes show the plastic base and that is were the steel dust falls into. Keeps the surface of the stone pretty clean.

Richard Madison
07-17-2009, 7:38 PM
The one I have looks like a sheet of metal was punched with small holes and then the rest coated with diamond dust. The small holes show the plastic base and that is were the steel dust falls into. Keeps the surface of the stone pretty clean.

Leo, my "good one" is like that. Also have some really cheap ones (you can guess where they came from) that look like expanded metal on a plastic base. Just about useless.

Joseph Cardinal
07-18-2009, 11:58 AM
DMT, one of the better companies makes both formats.

The dots are there to provide a place for the metal filings to go.

The dotless are for "small contact area and pointed tools".

http://www.dmtsharp.com/category/woodworking.htm