PDA

View Full Version : Two questions about router bits

Louis Brandt
07-16-2009, 3:14 PM
Hello,

I’m getting ready to do my very first routing with my Bosch 1617EVSPK router and the new Freud bits that I’ve just received. I have two questions.

First, I think that I’ve read posts that say that you should NOT insert the bit all the way into the collet, or at least back it out slightly from the bottom. Is this true?

Second, when I inspected the bits, there seemed to be a hint of grease on the shanks. Should there be any lubricant on the shank of the bit before installing it? Is it ok if I wipe them off?

Thanks,
Louis

Dave Wagner
07-16-2009, 3:32 PM
Grease is probably to keep it from rusting in transport, you should wipe it off before using.

I usually put mine in with a small gap between the collet and bit, then adjust it and practice on some scrap wood to make sure I have the profile correct.

Andy Bardowell
07-16-2009, 3:48 PM
Dave's right Louis clean the grease off with mineral spirits or it will spin in the collet and be scored.

Apparently I've heard that the bit will freeze in the collet if bottomed out although I've never experienced this. To be proactive however I've inserted a 1/2 inch diameter bit of rubber cut from a bicycle inner tube in the bottom of the collet.

Joe Scharle
07-16-2009, 4:20 PM
Milwaukee style collets only need 3/4 inches of grip and some bit manufacturers will etch a line on the shank to show minimum length into the collet. You never want to bottom a bit because a curve at the shank/cutter transition will prevent the collet from gripping the shank fully.

Lee Schierer
07-16-2009, 4:32 PM
The way a collet works is that it slides down as it tightens. If it can't slide down it can't tighten properly. If you insert the bit until it bottoms out in the collet before tightening as the collet tightens it will not be able to move and teh bit will not be tight in the collet and may move as you start cutting with it. Push the bit in and make sure that there is 1/16" minimum under the end of the bit shaft.

Yes remove the grease from the entire bit before using it. Wipe thoroughly with a clean rag, no need to use a solvent

Vince Shriver
07-16-2009, 7:19 PM
Yes and No. Leave a gap, 86 the grease.

Peter Quinn
07-16-2009, 7:42 PM
Ditto. Small gap, follow the minimum from the manufacturer or router maker if you need a little reach, get rid of all grease on ANY cutting tool.

Fred Belknap
07-16-2009, 10:40 PM
I don't think you will have any problem with that router as it has a deep collet. I don't think any of my bits bottom out in it.

Bill Huber
07-16-2009, 11:43 PM
Like everyone as said take the grease off.

I learned the hard way with my Bosch when I first started. I was routing a 1/4x1/4 groove in a board, dropped the bit in all the way and tightened it up. Started the cut and the bit came right out the top of the board. So don't put the bit all the way in.

Bill Huber
07-16-2009, 11:46 PM
I don't think you will have any problem with that router as it has a deep collet. I don't think any of my bits bottom out in it.

Fred, I will have to disagree with you on that, if you take a 1/2 straight bit it will go right to the bottom if you let it. Now some profile bits will not but straight bits sure will.

Chip Lindley
07-17-2009, 11:46 AM
It bears mentioning, that whatever you use to clean the preservative off the bit shank, DO NOT get it into the Ball Bearing (if the bit has one) MinSpirits or LacThinner in the BB will zap it Fast!