PDA

View Full Version : Delta dust colletor special versus a 20" planer

GERALD HARGROVE
07-16-2009, 1:30 PM
Guys,
I have a Delta dust colletor that I picked up at Lowe's several years ago, and it has served me well over the years. The issue that I am having is I just purchased a 20" planer and the planer is winning the battle between the dust collection and the dust output. I found a cyclone attachment on Ebay and was wondering if I adding this between the dust collector and the planer, if it would improve my dust pickup? I really do not want to drop another five to seven hundered in tools right now, the wife will sting me up.

Thanks in advance.

Anthony Whitesell
07-16-2009, 2:45 PM
Can you define further winning vs losing? Is the planer putting out more than the DC can catch?

It may give you some improvement, but at the same time it may not or will cost you something somewhere else (SP, CFM, or both). Most inline attachments are fall into the loss column, but it depends on why and what you are losing. On my 1 1/2 HP Rigid DC the top and bottom bags are both cloth (ie., air outlets from the DC). To which I added a Bill Pentz trash can collector to my 1 HP system. I believe I increased the pressure loss a bunch but think I broke even on the CFMs. It acts like I have better pickup from the planer which I believe is due to the increased collection area and the fact that the lower bag isn't filling. Since I built it, I now only use it for the planer and jointer and don't worry about putting what little the TS, RT, and BS make into the bags.

In the past year I've adding some real WW tools to my shop (router table, 8" jointer, 17" BS) and due to floor space, I had to plumb my 1 1/2 HP 4" inlet DC as though it was a "real" DC. I know I have reached the limits of the DC and need to upgrade so I try not to spend anything on it.

Since you already know that you're beyond the limits of the DC, I would suggest that you go the cheapest route possible to get you by for now and not spend big bucks on something that will really never improve until you up grade the base system.

Greg Cole
07-16-2009, 3:02 PM
If your Delta DC has the 4 inch "Y" piece attached to the impeller housing, you can pull it off and plumb your main line with 6" PVC and go with 4" drops to the machines. The PVC is cheap and easy.
I try to keep my planer run short to keep the shavings moving in the right direction.
Adding in a trash can style cyclone will actually reduce your CFM's but will keep from having to dump bags from the DC as often & will help a little with keeping the filter(s) cleaner longer. If you don't have a Phil Thien baffle in your DC, that's a great addition to extend the cleaning intervals of the filter. I added one to my 2 hp canister DC and can't tell you how much it's helped keeping the pleated filter from clogging as rapidly... but it's a 75% improvement or more.;)

glenn bradley
07-16-2009, 3:13 PM
I run a 1HP Delta which is probably the same as yours(?). I use it for my jointer and planer exclusively. I also have a cyclone but, rather than take the hit on your airflow (which you will with a cyclone or separator) I would look at your bags.

I added a better sized fabric filter (http://www.americanfabricfilter.com/)and switched to a solid lower bag and it has worked out very well. A canister filter is another solution but, the bag was custom made to get the biggest size for my space (no extra cost) and clamped right on.

I also removed the cross piece in the throat where the hose hooks on as some stringy woods cause clogs or slow movement through there. Granted this exposes my impeller to any objects that may get sucked up but, I only use it on the jointer and planer where nothing should get by.

Tom Hargrove
07-16-2009, 4:23 PM
If you are running the 1HP Delta DC that has a 4" intake, it is probably a bit small for a 20" planer, whether or not a cyclone is being used. A cyclone separates material in the debris stream, but does not significantly increase the amount of air entering the collector hose. If you have the larger Delta, I concur that a 6" line should be help.

Like Glenn, I use the 1HP Delta. I installed a canister filter and solid bag, and the amount of air moving through the system went up significantly. I also installed a separator ring between the bags. The ring did not increase air flow, but helps keep the dust in the bag rather than clogging up the filter. As modified, the collector keeps up with my 13" planer, but it would probably be small for a 20" machine.

And no, I don't think Gerald and I are related . . ..

Rod Sheridan
07-16-2009, 4:33 PM
Gerald, what does Delta reccomend for air flow on that planer?

My 12" Hammer requires a minimum of 478CFM at 3,900 FPM for a 12" planer.

Your 20 inch may be in the 600 to 700CFM range.

Regards, Rod.