PDA

View Full Version : steady rest question

curtis rosche
07-16-2009, 1:13 PM
so i found my lathe wobbles more on long peices than it should, and makes deep hollowing impossible. so i am making a steady rest. i have noticed that in all of the pictures i have seen of steady rests, they used rollerskate wheels. is this critical or just because they are cheap? i have a stock of 3 inch bearings i was thinking of using, will these work well?
also, what is the best placement for the 3 -4 wheels, or isnt it critical aslong and they are evenly spaced?

Mike Svoma
07-16-2009, 1:37 PM
If you think about it. The "roller skate wheels", as you put it, are used because they are softer than the wood and will not damage the wood as it is turning. Some people will also wrap there project with tape in the are of the steady rest to give some further protection. If you used bearings, the metal bearing would damage the outside of your turning. I would caution against using the bearings. My $.02.

Mike

Norm Zax
07-16-2009, 1:38 PM
Bearings are fine but would you rather have rubber against your work or metal? Even spread is optimal but a paired arrangement is also used and satisfactory. As long as its symetric so pressure is countered.

Thom Sturgill
07-16-2009, 2:18 PM
Ditto on the metal against wood, however you should be able to cover the metal either with that vinyl stuff you dip tool handles into, or tape, or even rubber bands. And tape off the are you want to protect. Some of the skate wheels used are harder than the softer woods.

As to being evenly spaced, look at the OneWay steadys - the bowl steady is two wheels on ONE side of the bowl. It has to resist pressure only from the tool. Spindle steadys tend to surround the spindle, but don't have to. There are numerous designs that simply provide support on the side opposite the tool.

curtis rosche
07-16-2009, 2:54 PM
ok. i will try to dig out one of my old pair of skates. thanks for the input

Steve Schlumpf
07-16-2009, 3:20 PM
Curtis - I have been using some clear wheels and they never leave a mark. Just something for you to consider should you have to go find some.

Bernie Weishapl
07-16-2009, 3:26 PM
Curtis go down to your local thrift Store, Salvation Army or like I did and went to Target. I bought a pair of roller blades for $9.95 and took the wheels off. I had 8 wheels so made a 4 wheel steady and a 3 wheel steady. Wheels do not leave marks on the wood.

Jerome Hanby
07-16-2009, 4:06 PM
Just make sure the roller blades are not pink and not in your daughter's size DAMHIK:D

robert hainstock
07-16-2009, 4:40 PM
Best placement of the wheels is oposite the applied tool pressure. Most often at 120degree intervals with two wheels on the back side. :)
Bob

Brian Brown
07-16-2009, 5:43 PM
I bought a new pair of childs skates at Target for $12. 8 wheels left spares for the future. If you use skate wheels that were used for their intended purpose, be sure you remove all the imbedded sand from the wheels. It will scratch the wood. Removal is not easy, that's why I spent the $12 even though I am incredibly cheap.

curtis rosche
07-16-2009, 8:06 PM
i got a pile of old skates lyin around , just got a new pare of rollerblades a while ago. you would not beleive how much a good pare of size 12 rollerblades cost

terry richards
07-18-2009, 4:55 PM
Replacement wheels come in a variety of hardness grades. They are relatively cheap, and you don't have to worry about road dirt scuffing your work.

I have 4 retractable arms with rollerblade wheels and bearings, set at 45, 135, 225, and 315 degrees.

Even though I have the softer plastic wheels, I still wrap my work in tape to prevent compression burnishing.

Wally Dickerman
07-18-2009, 5:02 PM
Old skates are sometimes available at garage sales. My first 3-wheel steady rest had metal wheels, similar to old style roller skates. When I used it my shop sounded like Saturday night in a skating rink with old style skates.

Blue masking tape works well when using a steady rest. It doesn't leave a residue.

Wally