PDA

View Full Version : PerformaX 16-32 Plus drum sander problem

Tom Hoffman
08-31-2004, 9:53 PM
I have a PerformaX 16-32 Plus drum sander. I have having great difficulty with the sandpaper overlapping itself on the drum. This results in increased thickness of the paper which results in more pressure on the wood and burning. This happens even if the motor doesn't trip and when I'm only putting very light pressure on the wood. The species of wood doesn't seem to matter and the grit of paper doesn't seem to matter. The surfaces are smooth: out of the planer. A new piece of paper is only good for about 15 - 20 passes before this happens. I try taking up the slack in the paper, but that is good for only about 2 more passes. I've gone through literally hundreds of dollars of sandpaper constantly putting in fresh paper well before it wears out.

Any thoughts?

Mike Mortenson
08-31-2004, 11:27 PM
I have the same sander and have never had any problems with that. Are you sure the paper is on right and its the riight paper for it?

Don Selke
08-31-2004, 11:51 PM
I have the same sander and have not experienced your problem. I am wondering if your tension springs are working. When you install your abrasive roll, keep it taut, then insert it into the spring loaded clip on the right side of the drum. If you call customer service, they will walk you thru the process of installing the abrasive rools. I had one problem with my unit, I contacted customer service and they stayed with me on the telephone until it was resolved.

Ed Moehlenpah
09-01-2004, 1:01 AM
when you put on the sandpaper, leave a small gap between each "turn".
get the paper as tight as you can, by turning it with one hand, and holding it against the drum with the other. Then, work on the tension springs on both sides of the drum, until the slack is out of the paper at the ends. I spend a fair amount of time doing this until it feels right.

I *have* had your problem before, and it makes me really :mad: when I mess up something I've worked on for a long time. The other problem of course, you mentioned, you ruin a lot of paper. This is why I buy 100' rolls. There was a guy on ebay who was selling them cheaper than I could get locally.

Ed

Mark Singer
09-01-2004, 1:17 AM
The paper stretches. Run a piece or 2 through. Stop the machine , tighten the paper using the red tool....now your good!

Dennis Peacock
09-01-2004, 2:15 AM
I have one also and have never had that problem. The only problem I've had so far is the power switch went out, the one for the drum. Called customer service and they sent one out and I had it in two days. They said, we'll send you a BETTER switch that will not present you any problem. Works great. I have sanded a LOT with this thing and have only used about 9 wraps of sandpaper. I only use the Performax brand, which is really Klingspor.

Sorry you're having problems. Call customer service. They will help you, I'm sure of it. :)

Mike Cutler
09-01-2004, 5:33 AM
In the limited use I've had with my Performax sander, it would seem to me that something is wrong with the spring clips. I've had no problem like you describe. Give Performax a call, they should have an answer for you. Good Luck

Daniel Rabinovitz
09-01-2004, 11:22 AM
Tom
No one as yet has listed the basics, so here goes.
1. Looking at the drum from the open end side - the sand paper should be wound clockwise around it.
2. You start at the open end with the sand paper clamped in. Wind to the motor side.
3. I haven't figured out how to use the red tool as yet so glad that my middle finger isn't pudgy and is gaining in dexterity and strength as I pull up on the spring clamp as high as it will go before inserting the sandpaper. (whew, that's a long sentence).
4. Follow all other suggested steps.
I have not had much trouble with overlap and burning - but have had some.
Daniel :D