PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid TP1300S vs Delta TP300

Gene Rogers
07-16-2009, 7:35 AM
I own a Delta TP300 planer which I've had for several years and seems to work pretty well with the exception of no dust collection, a little bit of snipe problems and it is pretty loud. I have a chance to pickup a Ridgid TP1300S for 150.00 that looks to be in very good condition. Cheap enough that I should be able to sell the Delta for the same price. Would this be a worth while upgrade or are these planers pretty much the same?

Thanks!
Chris

Tom Hargrove
07-16-2009, 7:57 AM
The Ridgid planer is a little bigger than the Delta. I am happy with the dust collection on mine, and the disposable blades are easy to change out. Like all planers, snipe is present unless the infeed and outfeed tables support the workpiece.

scott spencer
07-16-2009, 9:13 AM
The TP1300 is a clear step up from the Delta TP300, which is Delta's Shopmaster no-frills entry model. The Ridgid has a cutterhead lock and a dust collection, and is more comparable to Delta's TP400.

Jerome Hanby
07-16-2009, 9:18 AM
I've got the Ridgid, my Dad has the Delta. I love my Ridgid, but after using his Delta last month, I have to say (at least on pine) it seemed to work just as well. I stil like the Ridgid for the increased capacity, double use blades, and fact that shavings aren't piled everywhere after use:D.

Jason Strauss
07-16-2009, 9:30 AM
I just picked up a new Rigid 2 weeks ago. After some careful adjustment of the infeed and outfeed tables, it works like a charm. Not sure how the dust collection would work with a shop vac, but my 1hp Delta 4" DC picks up almost all the shavings. $150 is a steal!