PDA

View Full Version : Recomendations for an outdoor plaque

Craig Coney
07-16-2009, 12:40 AM
I thought I'd post this here to get some opinions from someone with more experience in this field.

My wife's family is in need of a plaque to place beside a tree at their church and want to have a plaque engraved.

What is the best material that would likely not be stolen and will hold up to the harsh winters and summer weather?

Thanks in advance

AL Ursich
07-16-2009, 1:04 AM
Corian either laser engraved or CNC or Rotary Engraved and color fill with a color Corian glue. Sanded flush.

Stainless Steel and Cermark with a Laser. Glass fused to the metal.

AL:rolleyes:

Frank Corker
07-16-2009, 5:39 AM
Granite/marble are suitable too

Scott Shepherd
07-16-2009, 9:23 AM
What is the best material that would likely not be stolen

Sadly, they haven't come up with that material yet. The nicer it looks, the more someone will be tempted to steal it.

Rodne Gold
07-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Outdoors you can use Stainless , brass and anodised ally , as well as perspex or you can cold cast as well. If you inset the plaque into a small concrete plinth and secure it with something like torx head bolts , you will find it relatively theft proof. You need to etch or deep engrave the metals for any real durability.
We do a lot of outdoor work in perspex with paint fills. Black pex with a gold fill looks wonderful and is cheap and easy to do. Pex has no inherent value either ..no scrap value at all. It will last at least 20+ years, lots of signage older than that made of pex still looking good.

Stephen Kane
07-16-2009, 2:55 PM
Hi Craig

Here is a granite one fresh off the press. Reflections do not do the product justice. This piece is 600mmx600mmx30mm

Stephen

Carl Sewell
07-16-2009, 9:22 PM
Rodney;

How deep do you engrave the perspex? What do you use for the colorfill? What thickness of perspex do you typically use?

Thanks!

Rodne Gold
07-17-2009, 2:51 AM
We generally use 5 or 6mm thick and engrave fairly deeply. We use Gilding paste (a wax based product like Rub n Buff but thicker and more durable) for filling , but automotive paints work well too,

Carl Sewell
07-17-2009, 8:19 AM
Thanks, Rodney!

Barb Macdonald
07-17-2009, 9:26 AM
I'm using it laminated to 0.25" black plex. Metalgraph is rated for exterior use
Will it stand up?

Certainly less expensive?

Craig Coney
07-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I like the granite, now to see what the budget will allow.

Thanks
Craig

Tom Gooch
07-17-2009, 7:34 PM
Acrylastone www.acrylastone.com (http://www.facrylastone.com/) makes a really nice memorial marker and stand. The stand has a hole in it that could be used to further secure it with an auger screw. The auger screw is like a tent stake that you drill into the ground and then use a chain or cable and lock to secure the stand to the auger. Once in the ground they're not easy to get back out. It's not fully invincible but it would stop most pranksters.

John Ness
07-17-2009, 8:02 PM
Dear Craig,

We manufacture aznodized aluminum that last 20 years outdoors under any condition. We can reproduce photos as well as text.

We do a lot of work wholesale to other sign companies so we can give you a discounted price.

Thanks,
John Ness

Rick Irwin
07-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Not sure if you have access to slate. Relatively inexpensive in the northeast, will last 100+ years outdoors.
Slate is available in several colors like: blue, green, red, purple, black. Lasered looks great and is easy to do.
Perhaps tile company or roofing company can help you find a piece to try.