PDA

View Full Version : Are there any good cordless vacuum cleaners?

Stephen Tashiro
07-16-2009, 12:03 AM
Are there any good cordless vacuum cleaners yet? I mean for in-the-house use, not in-the-shop use. I don't need to vacuum carpet, just wood floors. Of course I want it to use the same batteries as some brand of power tools .

Mike Henderson
07-16-2009, 12:46 AM
Look at the Sharkvac line. Maybe search on Shark vacuum.

I have one and have been satisfied with it. It's not like a plug in unit but it works pretty good.

Mike

Gene Howe
07-16-2009, 7:50 AM
My sister has a Shark VX3, the one with the articulated arm. It's a very nice unit. However, we own a couple Swivel Sweepers and, IMO, they do just as well at cleaning wood and tile floors as does the Shark. And for a heck of a lot less $.
That being said, I absolutely love the little corded Shark we have for cleaning the truck interior.

Gene

Chris Damm
07-16-2009, 8:12 AM
My wife has been using "The BOSS" by Eureka for about 6-7 years now and she really likes it for hard surfaced floors. It gets used 4-5 times a week and she had to replace the battery recently. I've never used it so I wouldn't have a clue myself.:D

Jeffrey Makiel
07-16-2009, 8:14 AM
I have two: A Shark and a Eureka.

The short answer is no. It seems that there is an unwritten rule requiring all household appliances that are cordless to be made cheaply. Even if the battery lasts, other stuff on the vacuum breaks, or its performance is so-so.

DeWalt, Bosch, or some other decent woodworking brand should look into making a quality household cordless vacuum. Heck, they make cordless circular saws, sawzalls, etc.

The market is ripe for take-over. :)

-Jeff :)

Rod Sheridan
07-16-2009, 10:22 AM
The problem with a cordless vacuum is that the motor is at full load most of the time, which isn't true for other cordless tools.

If you need a 300 or 400 watt motor, you're going to be able to lift the battery if you want to run the vacuum for any length of time.

So they're made with small motors, low airflow etc.

I've never used one that worked well.........Regards, Rod.

Eric Larsen
07-16-2009, 8:52 PM
I went the robotic route. I have a roomba for my hardwood and a scooba for my travertine.

Does it do as good a job as I do with a broom, mop, etc?

No.

But they work 1.5 hours each day, and the end result is a better job than I am willing to do cleaning once a week. I still have to clean the floors manually once every two months or so. But I'm happy with them.

Buy from Hammacher Schlemmer for the lifetime warranty, if you want to go that route.