PDA

View Full Version : Shop Made Inertia Sander

Mike Minto
07-15-2009, 8:09 PM
After being dissatisfied with both the Sorby and Monster inertia sanders (I may be doing something wrong - my technique may be off, but I have no one around to compare with) - I decided to make my own. After only a few uses, I found the 'store bought' ones didn't rotate as well as they did when brand new. I based this on a couple of designs I found on the 'net - using two ball bearings, spacer, a 1/4" bolt and a nylon lock nut and a piece of alder finished with BLO - haven't used it yet, but will let you all know if I have the same problem with my home made one. Oh, the 1/2" foam is from a sleeping bag pad, 2" in diameter, backed with plywood and has some industrial velcro stuck to it. Getting the thru-hold and 'mortises' for the bearings was made simple by using my OneWay Drill Wizard. Figure it cost me almost $3 to make. Mike

Christopher Zona
07-15-2009, 9:08 PM
Mike,

I was wondering what kind and size of ball bearings you used. I'm wondering if you used a single row deep groove bearing or some other type like an miniature bearing?

What is the actual number on the bearing? Does it say something like R 168 BZZ or something similar?

robert hainstock
07-16-2009, 9:00 AM
After being dissatisfied with both the Sorby and Monster inertia sanders (I may be doing something wrong - my technique may be off, but I have no one around to compare with) - I decided to make my own. After only a few uses, I found the 'store bought' ones didn't rotate as well as they did when brand new. I based this on a couple of designs I found on the 'net - using two ball bearings, spacer, a 1/4" bolt and a nylon lock nut and a piece of alder finished with BLO - haven't used it yet, but will let you all know if I have the same problem with my home made one. Oh, the 1/2" foam is from a sleeping bag pad, 2" in diameter, backed with plywood and has some industrial velcro stuck to it. Getting the thru-hold and 'mortises' for the bearings was made simple by using my OneWay Drill Wizard. Figure it cost me almost $3 to make. Mike

When I began looking for a similar sander, I had already been warned "off" the Sorby because of its steel on bronze bearings. So I bought the PSI tool. I decided to modify it to ball bearings because the head was big enough to insert small router bearings, (3/8 x 1/8 in) These were available from several venders. and after they came,I disasembled the PSI tool to discover that it already had those very bearings already installed. I would reccomend for those of us who do not have the means to make the tool as is posted here that hte PSI Is a very excellant tool on its own, and also to try one of the 2" or 3" heads in a small electric drill as has been discussed here frequently. I use the drill sander most often.:)
Bob

robert hainstock
07-16-2009, 9:06 AM
Mike,

I was wondering what kind and size of ball bearings you used. I'm wondering if you used a single row deep groove bearing or some other type like an miniature bearing?

What is the actual number on the bearing? Does it say something like R 168 BZZ or something similar?

Eagle America.com or most any router bit vendor can supply small lubed for life bearings. I reccomend 3/8 x 1/8in.:)
I wpould use two with at least a 3/16in spacer between.
Bob

Mike Minto
07-16-2009, 9:18 AM
Mike,

I got the bearings from 'vxb.com'; these are inexpensive, about $10 for 8 of them, accepting a 1/4" bolt or rod. Overall diameter is 7/8", and are simple ball bearings, far as I know. I'll look on them for any numbers when I get home tonight. Mike

Mike Minto
07-19-2009, 7:44 PM
i've gotta say, this thing works GREAT. spins like a bat out of hell, leaves a great finish at 320. the sanding backer pad does want to unscrew; i've chased it a time or two, so i think i'll put some thread-lock on it. should be fine after that. this one is better for the outside of bowls, and spindle work - i'll have to make one with a little less acute angle so it fits in a bowl better - maybe a longer bolt to get some distance between handle and sandpaper, too. mike :D