PDA

View Full Version : New Glaser V10 Bedan Tool

Mike Minto
07-15-2009, 8:00 PM
Received my new Glaser tool in the mail today; didn't know it would be quite so massive - at 1/2" wide, it's a big tool. Can give overall dimensions if anyone cares. I was using my Crown parting tool (about 1/8" thick) to make tenons - this should be much easier. Mike :D

Gordon Seto
07-15-2009, 8:17 PM
Mike,

Congrats on the new bedan. What's the cross section? square, rectangular or trapezoid?

curtis rosche
07-15-2009, 8:29 PM
great lookin tool. how much vibration does that wide of a cut make?

Mike Minto
07-15-2009, 8:29 PM
gordon, trapezoidal - never used one, but i'm wagering it's just the tool for tenons. glad i went for the 1/2" instead of the 3/8. mike

Bernie Weishapl
07-15-2009, 8:36 PM
Mike I have a bedan tool and love it. You can do a lot with it. I think it was Stuart Ablett that has a video on U-Tube called Bedan Practice. You can search for it. He gives a pretty good demo on it. I saw one used by Jean-Francois Escoulen at a demo. He used it like a skew and did several things with it.

Gordon Seto
07-15-2009, 9:13 PM
Bernie,

The one that Stuart used in U-Tube was the French bedan. The bedan has square or rectangular cross section. That was the reason I asked about the cross section. Jean Escoulen bedans are forged.
When using the trapezoid bedan in a bevel up fashion, the sharper than 90 degree edge is more likely to dig in the tool rest and doesn't glide as smoothly.
The English bedans (trapezoid cross section) are meant to be used flat on the tool rest and not rotated.

Steve Kubien
07-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Looking at the pictures, I am wondering if this is any different than a narrow, thick square scraper? I realize that the metal is different than most and the angle is not "normal" but is there something else I am not seeing?

Curious.

Steve

Scott Conners
07-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Steve, the big difference is that it is used with the bevel on the top. Typically used in spindle turning, it can do much that a skew can do and some things a gouge can too.

Doug Thompson
07-16-2009, 3:04 AM
Steve, the big difference is that it is used with the bevel on the top. Typically used in spindle turning, it can do much that a skew can do and some things a gouge can too.

So you can flip the tool over and use it like a skew and you will also have a negitive rake scraper which could be real handy.

Gordon, when you get back to the states I need to learn about a bedan, someone at the national symposium had to be using one because to many people were asking about it.

Steve Schlumpf
07-16-2009, 8:36 AM
Looks like quite the tool Mike! I have never used one and look forward to your comments once you get the chance to use yours. Sure looks like it would work great for tenons!

Mike Minto
07-16-2009, 9:16 AM
Tenons are the main reason I got the tool, as I said; but having never used one, I was surprised at the versatility displayed in the YouTube videos with this type of tool. I was very surprised to see it used bevel up; being trapezoidal, I thought it would be used bevel down, to lessen any chance of binding, as in a diamond cross-section parting tool. Will have to try both ways. Mike

Richard Madison
07-16-2009, 2:28 PM
Whowouldathunkit, a tool that you use upside down. Very interesting and educational video. Thanks Bernie for mentioning it. Should be easy to whip one up from a 1/2" tool bit. Think I read that the bevel is 45 degrees.

Mike Minto
07-16-2009, 2:57 PM
Richard, yep, should be very easy to make your own - it looks like 45 degrees to me, this one being trapezoidal in shape - that should be fairly easy to do, too. mike

Gordon Seto
07-16-2009, 5:06 PM
Whowouldathunkit,

If you have a chance to watch Jean Escoulen to demo how he did the furniture spindle, it would surprise you. He grew up in his father's production shop.
The 3 tools he used for spindle from square stocks are sledge hammer, bedan and a spindle gouge. He used the sledge hammer to center the square blank on the lathe. He put the square blank loosely between centers by eyeballing; then used the sledge hammer to knock it center before tightening the tail stock. There was no measuring, marking for center. Centering is important in pummel cuts. His method works for him.
He turns at extreme speed, everything was done with the bedan, from roughing to finishing. Only changed to a spindle gouge for tight cove.
The way he masters the bedan makes one humble. It has the smooth finish of a skew. It is more rigid than a skew because of thickness; that allows it to reach a great distance over the tool rest. The single bevel and smaller width allows for better visibility than a thick skew.

Bill Wyko
07-18-2009, 6:39 PM
Nice looking tool. You'll have to give us a review on it once you put some miles on it. Just wondering, how much did it set you back if you don't mind my asking?

Mike Minto
07-18-2009, 9:39 PM
bill, the tool was $109 shipped; free posting due to the order being over $100. I've tried it twice, using it bevel down; it kept wanting to catch as I used it on end grain, trying to make a tenon. I'm hoping it works better on face grain when I try and make a tenon on a bowl tomorrow. will post again on that result. mike

Mark Pruitt
07-18-2009, 10:20 PM
it kept wanting to catch
Have you sharpened it? Makes a huge difference!

Ryan Baker
07-18-2009, 10:26 PM
I use a bedan (bevel down) to cut tenons on face grain quite often and it works very well. I have used it on end grain too and don't remember any problems. Seems to work better than the alternatives (at least for a dovetailed tenon).

Terry Gerros
07-20-2009, 12:24 AM
Where did you purchase the tool?

john taliaferro
07-20-2009, 9:39 AM
what did you do with the stuff off the bench:confused:

Mike Minto
07-20-2009, 12:14 PM
got the tool from 'highland woodworking'. stuff off the bench? what's that, john? mike :confused:

john taliaferro
07-20-2009, 1:26 PM
the bench its empty .i have to look for 5min for a place just to set a cup of joe

Mike Minto
07-20-2009, 1:34 PM
oh, i got you - kitchen island, haha. mike

Mike Minto
07-20-2009, 5:03 PM
just got off the phone with Highland woodworking - they sold out of the last handful of Glaser's they had - did you guys here on the creek snap them up after i got this bedan, and posted about them having some? just wondering...mike

Terry Gerros
07-20-2009, 6:17 PM
Hi Mike,
Yes, I did. Ordered them this morning. They did have a skew left. Thanks for letting us know about the tools. Have been waiting patiently for one, don't know why I didn't think to call Highland earlier.

Terry

Mike Minto
07-20-2009, 8:17 PM
terry, glad you got a tool (some tools?); thought i'd order another this week, but they told me they were ALL gone when i called today (told them i posted here regarding the tools); as i was thinking earlier, those 5 tools highland had might have very well been the last 5 glasers on the planet available for sale! mike :)

Mike Minto
07-20-2009, 8:18 PM
steve, how many differences does it take to make one tool different from another (metal, angle...)? mike :rolleyes:

Terry Gerros
07-20-2009, 9:55 PM
Hi Mike,
You might also try Woodcraft of Honolulu....yes, I know, Hawaii of all places. Anyway I ordered a 1/2" U bowl gouge for $140.00. Wanted a 3/4 U bottom bowl gouge, but I settled because that was what they had. Their phone number incase you are interested is (808) 841-9876.

I bought both the 3/8 and 1/2 bedan from Highland Hardware this morning.

I also called Austin Hardwoods in Santa Ana, CA today to see if they had any in stock. Spoke with Steve Morris...he said call back in a few months as supposedly Glaser Hitec is making more tools. He also said the company kept putting their orders on backorder, more than once. The number there is (714) 953-4000.

Let's hope Stuart Batty will get his tool line up and running this year.

Regards,
Terry

Hilel Salomon
07-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Hey Mike,

I was visiting Atlanta last Tuesday, in order to meet a HS friend I hadn't seen in 54 years. Got there early and hung around Highland Hardware. Saw the Glasers (2 bedans, a skew, and two beading tools) but didn't think to buy them. After I returned to Columbia, I waited until Thursday and then called. They only had the one skew and one beading tool. The fellow asked me why all the sudden (lots of people had called) interest, and I told him about your post. Anyway, got the beading tool. I've used a Sorby bedan to make tenons for bowl turning and I like it a lot. If you turn the tool clockwise a bit it will make the dovetail tenons as well. Thanks for the heads up.
Hilel.

Mike Minto
07-22-2009, 8:33 PM
Speaking of Glaser tools, I happen to have 2 UNUSED Glaser 3/8" bowl gouges, V10 with red handles - I'm looking to sell them, $175, shipped in the lower 48 states; not being made anymore, let me know fast!

Terry Gerros
07-23-2009, 8:49 AM
Mike,
If you mean both gouges for $175, consider them sold. Call me, 503.580.5013.
Terry

Terry Gerros
07-23-2009, 9:02 AM
Mike,
If you mean both gouges for 175, consider them sold. Call me at 503.580.5013 for payment. I don't believe my other message went through.
Terry

Mike Minto
07-23-2009, 9:04 AM
each, shipped and insured - can't find 'em anymore! these things cost me alot, too! mike

Terry Gerros
07-23-2009, 9:13 AM
Wishful thinking on my part.