PDA

View Full Version : Qunadry.... Phillips v. Square Drive screws

Brad Hammond
08-31-2004, 9:00 PM
What's the verdict? i'm considering switching over, but i've yet to buy a couple to see if i like them.
i was looking to see how many of ya'll use them. about to get started on the parents cabints and i've read some good things these and pocket joinery.

thanx all
brad

JayStPeter
08-31-2004, 9:07 PM
Just look up mcfeelys.com and pick up a few boxes of your favorite size. I think you'll become a convert.

Jay

Joe Scarfo
08-31-2004, 9:18 PM
If you want to experiement... head up to the orange or blue big box. Buy a box or two of their "hybrid" deck screws. The ones that come w/ a combo phillips/square drive bit.

Use a number two square drive bit to run them in and see how they feel. I can't speak for everyone else, but for me there was no going back to philips screws.

I use those hybrid drive screws for so much stuff.

As for pocket joinery.. for me it's come se come sa (could someone check the spelling on that?). The joints always seem to slip for me if there is glue in the joint. There always seems to be about 3/64 of a lip.

It's been suggested to first drive the screws dry, then glue the joint. Haven't had a pjct recently to try that.

Good Luck
Joe in Tampa...

Greg Heppeard
08-31-2004, 9:19 PM
What's the verdict? i'm considering switching over, but i've yet to buy a couple to see if i like them.
i was looking to see how many of ya'll use them. about to get started on the parents cabints and i've read some good things these and pocket joinery.

thanx all
brad

Pocket screws and square drive are the way to go...almost all commercial cabinet shops use them now. It's quick, easy and you don't have to wait for glue to dry.

Spence DePauw
08-31-2004, 9:48 PM
Square drive all the way. I've thrown/given away the others.

Spence

Waymon Campbell
08-31-2004, 9:54 PM
Ditto to what the others have said. Once you use the square drive you'll never go back. No more cam out!!!

Jim Becker
08-31-2004, 10:14 PM
Be square. No question. I actually throw out other screws these days unless they are for some special, specific purpose that can't be handled by the fasteners I buy from McFeeleys.

James Carmichael
08-31-2004, 10:14 PM
I haven't found it matters much since switching to an impact driver.

Wes Bischel
08-31-2004, 10:15 PM
Cam out - gee if you guys would put a little elbow grease behind it . . :rolleyes:

Actually I really enjoy using the square drives much more than phillips - I just need to use up what's in stock - then it's all square drive.
FWIW,
Wes

Charles McKinley
08-31-2004, 10:24 PM
Square drive hands down. You put the screw on the bit and it stays there.

The slip with pocket hole joinery can be handled with various clamping techniques that have been discussed in several threads. I love my Kreg Jig.

Try it you'll Like it!

Tyler Howell
08-31-2004, 10:32 PM
Used square drive (Robinson ??) screws for security applications 15 years ago:cool:

Now every thief has the attachment for their cordless drill driver. I think there is actually more surface area in contact with the driver blade than a phillips giving more support during installation, less stripping of the head.;)

Keith Outten
09-01-2004, 4:58 AM
I've been using McFeeleys Square Drive screws for years, the quality of their screws exceeds the big box products and the folks at McFeeleys are friendly with the best shipping record in the business.

Rich Konopka
09-01-2004, 6:38 AM
I recently switched to Square Drive from McFeely's and all I can say is:

Just Do It !!

Bob_Hammond
09-01-2004, 7:33 AM
Like others said, go to McFeeleys. They have a starter set that includes a bunch of screws and some drivers. Get that and you'll never go back.

Bob

Richard Allen
09-01-2004, 8:14 AM
Hi Brad

I have used square drive screws and I prefer philips screws. About 8 years ago I bought into the square drive thing. Bought a bunch of screws and a few drivers. They work okay. But there are enough problems with them that I quit buying square drive screws in favor of philips screws. The list of screws in the McFeelys catalog looks huge untill you try to find the size and shape of screw you want. Then you see how limited the selection of square drive screws is. But the main problem I have with square drive screws is that the driver is to small. Perhaps if the holes were moved up one size so that screws which curently use a #1 were using a #2 and screws which use a #2 were now uing a #3... But this is not the case.

So you get to spend more for the screws, buy new drivers, have fewer options, and for me anyway, can apply less tourque.

Still, I like haveing the capablity to use square drive.

Thanks

Kelly C. Hanna
09-01-2004, 8:51 AM
I use the same screws as Joe Scarfo does...I also don't use their bits due to excessive camout...use the #2 bits. I tried to find an outlet for plain square drives in 3" and 1 1/4" locally, but couldn't find a good one. McFeelys didn't have what I wanted either. You're other choice is the star drive screws with trim heads from GRK....those are very cool, but alas, expensive.

aurelio alarcon
09-01-2004, 8:56 AM
I use nothing but square drive screws for pocket hole assembly.

Mark J Bachler
09-01-2004, 9:07 AM
Square drive, self tapping, self countersinking (little fins under the head). I usually per drill anyway.

Gary Whitt
09-01-2004, 9:54 AM
I now use square drive screws for most everything, including home improvement items.
McFeely's has a wide assortment.
I usually buy the auger tip kind.

Daniel Rabinovitz
09-01-2004, 10:25 AM
Square drive screws for everything.
Daniel :cool:

Chris Padilla
09-01-2004, 10:43 AM
I say skip Phillips and the Square-drive and go BACK TO SLOTTED!!! yee-haw!!!

:D :D :D

Dennis Peacock
09-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Square Drive Screws......Try'em....You'll like'em.!!!!

Brad Hammond
09-01-2004, 11:13 AM
so what you're all saying is.....................

hehe

thanx all!
brad

Steve Clardy
09-01-2004, 11:28 AM
Square drive are the cat's meow on face frames. That's all I use on frames. I use phillips on box construction, mainly for the cost of screws.
Steve

Kent Cori
09-01-2004, 12:15 PM
Assuming the correct type/size is available, I've converted to using nothing but square drive or combo drive screws. I don't worry for more than two nanoseconds about cost since I can avoid the stress associated with using a slotted or Phillips head screw and stripping it or worse, having the screw driver slip and put a gouge in the work piece.

Ted Shrader
09-01-2004, 3:14 PM
Just look up mcfeelys.com and pick up a few boxes of your favorite size. I think you'll become a convert.

Jay

Yep!

Ted