PDA

View Full Version : Justifying tool purchases

Mike Mastin
03-21-2003, 10:55 PM
I have always bought tools based upon my wants, but as a new business owner I have found myself being a bit more Scrooge like of late.

I have spent the day at the Dallas Industrial Strength Woodworking Show having a good long look at many of the tools that I would like to add to our shop, but then I start to justify the need! I would love to add a bigger planer to the tool stable, but the old planer does a decent job for our current workload and its paid for. I would really like to add a drum or wide belt sander to offer some additional services, but our needs are only occasional for a tool like this right now. I want to add a really big bandsaw for our resaw needs and this is the one thing that I think that I can justify, but I have been sofocused on adding only resellable stock to further expand our business, that I just can't do it yet. I know that I am using my better judgement and will be safe in not doing anything foolish, but it is just not fun!

It used to be so easy before I started a business when it came to buying tools. I saw, I liked, I bought! Now I begin to analyze the possible payback and how long that I think it will take to pay for itself(if ever!).

I need to stay away from these shows now that I watch my bottom line. I really takes the fun out of tool purchasing for me :-)

Todd Burch
03-21-2003, 11:21 PM
Hey Mike, I know how it is!!

I was laid off back in November, and like you before, I too used to just buy, buy, buy. Now that I'm getting into woodworking full time (or trying to), I would love to have a 12" or 16" jointer, but the 8" will have to suffice. And, the 1963 Parks 12" planer, while it's not the 18" or 24" Powermatic or Martin with an indexable carbide Tersa head that I dream about, still cuts fine.

There's a wide belt sander (FOR THOSE FIGURED WOODS!) in my future, or a stroke sander, or both... someday. A Straight line borer would be nice too, as would a bigger, more modern shaper and a big dedicated molder...

There's a woodworking show in Houston next weekend that I have a free pass to, and while not the industrial strength show that you went to, there will be a lot of tool-candy there.

Todd.

Kirk (KC) Constable
03-22-2003, 8:48 AM
Hey Mike...my mesquite guy was gonna go to that show this weekend, but somehwere he heard that vendors were backing out at the last minute (due to the war?). How was it? And since Todd mentioned the Houston show, has anybody heard rumors about that one?

KC

Mike Mastin
03-22-2003, 9:10 AM
KC,

The show was much smaller than I had anticipated that it would be, but I saw all that I really wanted to see in the way of vendors and equipment. The vendors did not bring a lot of their offerings, but they did have a good assortment from each group of equipment. It just seemed that they focused on the extreme end of each type of product a bit more than I had hoped. They had their widest drum and wide belt sanders, the biggest planers, their biggest sliders, etc.
I was most interested in the models one level down from the their biggest tools (25" sander vs. 37" sander, a 24" helical head planer vs. their 26", etc)
Overall, if I had the liquid cash in hand yesterday, I would have made at least one purchase and still might today. I have until 4:00PM to talk myself out of fiscal responsibility :-)

Ted Shrader
03-22-2003, 10:04 AM
Mike -

Don't under estimate the value of a wide belt sander. If there were a small shop (like yours) near me, I would gladly pay shop fees to use a wide belt sander.

After you acquire one, your market possibilities - both resell and shop time - would broaden greatly.

Good luck in our decision.

Ted

Bob Oswin
03-22-2003, 10:46 AM
I tend to agree with Ted.
A wide belt sander is not something I need in my hobby shop but would gladly pay a premium to have someone provide that service for me.

It's about time and space for me.
Every time I put in a once or twice a year tool I loose space in my shop with out gaining any particular economy or convenience.

I feel the same about a shaper. Nice to have but really overkill in my shop.
If I make one single other purchase now it will have to be a veneer press. I just can't get, or should I say afford the luxury of solid wood unless I restrict my projects to Oak and or walnut.
Besides the stabililty of engineered product is a bit better.

Bob - AKA -weekend warrior.

jack duren
03-22-2003, 11:15 AM
yep....i want, i want, i want.... this is a everyday thing for me. i controlled myself well this year at the woodworking show. bought a few things i wanted and forgetting 1/2 what i really needed..:mad: .. but theres next year.

i look at tools this way. if it improves production. theres no second guess to whether you should buy it if the moneys there for such a tool. in the long run it pays for itself several times over.

we have a SCMI Sandya 10. its $$$$ but saves in production time. not having to change the belts makes it a quick and easy. i can honestly say in the last 10 years there has been nobody come in from outside the shop to use the sander. guess there not alot of garage/shop woodworkers in the area:( .....jack

Paul Kunkel
03-22-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Bob Oswin
I tend to agree with Ted.
A wide belt sander is not something I need in my hobby shop but would gladly pay a premium to have someone provide that service for me.
Bob - AKA -weekend warrior.
Dr. Bob, I don't think there's a day goes by that I don't use my 24" sander plus I hire it out at least 3-4 times a week to local woodworkers who need it. The outside $$ amounts to at least $100 a week!:D I need a bigger one!

Bob Oswin
03-22-2003, 3:44 PM
O.K. Paul where do you live? :)

I don't think I have enough "wood guys/gals" close to me to pull that one off.

Because I can only work on my days off, I don't envision setting up one of my tools for rental.
I can see how it might work for you though if you are in the shop all the time.

regards

Bob

Paul Kunkel
03-22-2003, 4:50 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Bob Oswin
O.K. Paul where do you live? :)

I don't think I have enough "wood guys/gals" close to me to pull that one off.

Because I can only work on my days off, I don't envision setting up one of my tools for rental.
I can see how it might work for you though if you are in the shop all the time.

regards

Bob
Bob, I live in the Toolies! 40 miles from a supermarket(Taos). There are scattered in these hills, enough Luthiers, and hobbiest woodworkers to help pay for bigger tools. I'm in the shop most days but they all call first to make sure I'm in and not out on an install or trim job. Sometimes the planer gets a workout or I get a resaw job. The 20" bandsaw was bought for 1 job 'cause I needed it and then sat idle for 3 months until word got around that I had it. Anyway, what works for me may not for you or others. P

Howard Barlow
03-25-2003, 5:04 AM
If it is for business, it may open opportunities you aren't considering.

About 20 years ago, I tried to justify the cost of a film processor for my color darkroom in my portrait studio. Based on # rolls a day I usually ran, I couldn't justify it. But, I wanted it. So, I bought it.

Shazam! Man, talk about a good investment. I generated so much commercial business I couldn't believe it. All kinds of "can you shoot it today and give me 8x10's this afternoon" questions.

Also, people who shot their own commercial stuff needed it processed and large prints made in short order. It was a cash cow I hadn't seen coming.

Any machine that you may use occasionaly, may bring unknown customers to your shop because you can do something no one else can do locally, especially if time is a consideration.

JayStPeter
03-25-2003, 12:27 PM
at work we often have to make purchase decisions like that (other kinds of equipment, but same idea). We have to come up with some sort of justification, usually it's time savings/productivity. It is much easier if you have too much work. Then, anything that can help you get stuff out the door quicker can be justified a little easier. Sometimes though, the justification can be employee satisfaction :D