PDA

View Full Version : How to keep a face shield clean?

Dan Scott
07-15-2009, 6:35 PM
I like to use a face shield when turning, grinding, routing, etc...but the plastic visor seems to be a magnite for sawdust..and most cleaning methods scratch it. Does anyone know of something to put on it so it won't attract dust? And maybe a good way to clean it?
Thanks in advance...maybe being able to clearly see my work will improve it....just a fantasy!

Curt Harms
07-15-2009, 6:40 PM
I like to use a face shield when turning, grinding, routing, etc...but the plastic visor seems to be a magnite for sawdust..and most cleaning methods scratch it. Does anyone know of something to put on it so it won't attract dust? And maybe a good way to clean it?
Thanks in advance...maybe being able to clearly see my work will improve it....just a fantasy!
Wipe both sides with Bounce or similar. The idea being no static=no dust attraction.

Rick Levine
07-15-2009, 9:09 PM
This may seem like an odd suggestion but here goes. Besides woodworking I am a photographer and besides my woodworking shop I also have a darkroom. In the darkroom I have a print washer made of acrylic, possibly the same material as the face shield. I notice three scratches on the side of the washer and tried to use a plastic polish I have had for several years. It did not even remove the black scuff marks in the scratches.

On a whim, I got out my Mothers Billet cleaner I use for the cast iron tops of my saw and other tools. You may not believe it but it completely removed the marks as well as the scratches. I was so impress that I even called Mothers as well as the print washer manufacturer to tell them of my discovery. I also tried it on one of the washer dividers because I noticed a deeper scratch on it. It didn't remove the scratch completely but it really knocked down the high edges of the deeper scratch. The three scratches on the side completely disappeared; I think they were not as deep. Go figure!

Incidentally, the plastic still has a shine to it and when I slide my fingers over the area there is no feeling of an indentation from all the rubbing. Just to be on the safe side I used a bit of Renaissance wax but it probably isn’t necessary.

Brian Brown
07-15-2009, 9:59 PM
Use a freshly used dryer sheet. The unused sheets will leave a waxey smeared mess. If they aren't freshly used, they lose their umph.

Greg Hawthorne
07-16-2009, 12:07 AM
3M have disposable lens covers designed to fit over their facemasks/respirators

Tony De Masi
07-16-2009, 7:40 AM
Once a year I use a Maguires product for plastic. It's a cleaner and then a polisher. Other than that I use the dryer sheet method to keep the dust off.

Tony

Frank Drew
07-16-2009, 1:26 PM
Meguiar's, perhaps? (Pronounced the same, though.)

Lee Schierer
07-16-2009, 1:34 PM
Use a freshly used dryer sheet. The unused sheets will leave a waxey smeared mess. If they aren't freshly used, they lose their umph.

I concur, use only used sheets, the fresh ones right out of the box will scratch the plastic.

Tony De Masi
07-16-2009, 4:56 PM
Frank, now that I look at your spelling I'll go with that, plus I'm too lazy to go to the garage and look. I also use the product once a year on the rear window of my wifes convertible. Works great there too.

Tony

Kyle Iwamoto
07-16-2009, 5:06 PM
I'm trying Rain-X, which does seem to work better than having nothing. Especially when turning wet wood. I like it on my windshield, so I gave it a try. I'll also try a dryer sheet.
I tried car wax, same brand. Didn't seem to do a lot. I does clean the plastic though.

Howard Acheson
07-17-2009, 1:43 PM
Never just wipe dust off you mask. Always rinse it off under running water. The water will float the dust and chips off. When you wipe them off dry, the chips can scratch the plastic. Dry the faceplate with an old towel. The slight dampness will minimize any static buildup.

Dave Sharpe
07-17-2009, 1:58 PM
Not really on point, but with all this talk about used dryer sheets, I'm reminded of another use for them. I learned severl years ago that the used ones (not new ones) are great for cleaning out pots and pans in the kitchen, especially those with baked on food or crusted food that just doesn't seem to come off easily. Seems like magic, but these things really work! coffee stains in mugs, crusted on eggs, baked casseroles, etc - all come off very easily with just a used dryer sheet in water. The worst baked on stuff gets soaked in water with a dryer sheet thrown in for a few hours, then it just wipes right off. (OK - sorry to make this into a happy home-maker post, but even us crusty sawdust engineers get stuck doing dishes occasionally.)

Kyle Iwamoto
07-17-2009, 3:12 PM
Are you serious? My job is the armstrong brand dishwasher. Not too proud to say I wash dishes because I can't cook. I'll have to try that.

Dave Sharpe
07-17-2009, 4:51 PM
yeah, I'm serious! try it out! (and greetings to a fellow Pacific Islander - albit a bit warmer than my island)