PDA

View Full Version : Good price for Nicaraguan Walnut

Greg Heppeard
08-31-2004, 8:52 PM
I found a local guy that has about 1000 board feet of Nicaraguan Walnut. It's been stored in a dry shop for over 30 years. It's all about two feet long, and most of it is 8/4 or larger. Some is about spindle blank size and there are many wider boards, up to about a foot wide. Anybody have and idea of what a good price would be? It could be quite a score to take to the BBQ in a couple of weeks.

Scott Coffelt
08-31-2004, 9:31 PM
No idea, but since it is shorts it shoul dbe discounted heavily in my opinion. Would sure be interested in seeing it that's for sure.

Mike Cutler
08-31-2004, 9:37 PM
Gee'z Greg. I would have asked either Mike Mastin or yourself for the value. It must be some really nice material if it's got you to thinkin' on it. Good Luck

Mark Singer
09-01-2004, 1:13 AM
It may be Nopal...if it is it would be $5 to $7 a bd foot. It is very brown and even in color. It is very stable. Easy to work with a bit soft compared to most exotics

Greg Heppeard
09-01-2004, 9:15 AM
Looks exactly like that, Mark. It has nice color and I saw some finished work that was made with the stuff...there are a few figured pieces in the lot, but most is relatively straight grained.

Mark Singer
09-01-2004, 9:59 AM
Looks exactly like that, Mark. It has nice color and I saw some finished work that was made with the stuff...there are a few figured pieces in the lot, but most is relatively straight grained.
Greg, see the attached link, it is a table I made from Nopal also called Peruvian Walnut

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=5510&highlight=peruvian+walnut

Chris Padilla
09-01-2004, 2:23 PM
Bring it, Greg. United Airlines will take two bags of like no more than 35-40 lbs. each. I'm bringing empty suitcases and I'm wearing the same clothes the whole weekend! :D Scary, huh? :D

Scott Coffelt
09-01-2004, 3:37 PM
There's always UPS. And one change od cloths, your riding in the back the way home from Terry's :D .

Jack, I think I'll drive that way I can be assured of a front seat.... :p

Ken Wright
09-01-2004, 9:52 PM
I've worked with Peruvian Walnut on several occasions, have a few pieces in the shop now, and love that wood. Although I found mine, in each purchase, to be a bit on the brittle side, it finished beautifully with oil and the figured pieces make a really nice box project. What you describe would be excellent for boxes. Figured pieces large enough for a blanket chest project would be great.

I bought mine off Ebay so its difficult to use that as a pricing model, but in each case I paid $4 or less per board foot plus shipping so $5/bf wouldn't be out of line based on my experience.

Greg Heppeard
09-01-2004, 11:00 PM
Well....got the official okie dokie today to buy about a hundred bf or so...I'll try to get a little cleaned up and brought to the BBQ......so much sawdust to make and so little time til we're stuffin groceries down our necks.

mike lucas
09-02-2004, 9:17 AM
Every Fall I go to a local sawmill and buy a couple or 4 skids of shorts/cutoffs and I pay 25 cents on the doller. Shorts are anything less then 6' So I would think that 2' shorts would be no more valueble then 15-20 cents on the doller. I have no idea if demestic lumber is worth less then the lumber you are talking about. But I would not give more then maybe $300-$400 if there really is 1000 board feet. Now if it were birdseye maple, or curly maple, then the gloves are off.;)

Also, around here most folks say buy American:eek:

Chris Padilla
09-02-2004, 1:52 PM
Greg,

I like my wood raw...no s4s or s2s for this guy!! :D

Joseph N. Myers
09-02-2004, 5:09 PM
For Mike Lucas:

"Every Fall I go to a local sawmill and buy a couple or 4 skids of shorts/cutoffs and I pay 25 cents on the doller. Shorts are anything less then 6' So I would think that 2' shorts would be no more valueble then 15-20 cents on the doller ...."

Mike,

What part of the country are you from, i.e., if you're from NC, wood is cheap, if CA, AZ, etc., not so cheap? Is the wood kiln dried, surfaced and what type is it. This information would be helpful in comparing the prices in your versus other parts of the country.

As far as the price for the walnut, if it is close to 12/4 that would be great for legs and bowls (turning), 4' great for blanket chests, 12" wide for scroll saw work (resawed). But it seems that most of the walnut mentioned doesn't quite meet those sizes.

There is a lot of scroll saw and crafts projects (reindeers, planters, etc) that the walnut would be good for. That being the case, final cost of $2.00 would be good, $3.00 not so good (so it would be $1 to $2 assuming $1/bf for shipping).

Regards, Joe