PDA

View Full Version : Coil Nails for fence building type needed?

Craig D Peltier
07-15-2009, 5:13 PM
I have a question , I want to shoot 1 3/4 inch length of coil nails though a 2x6 into fence board. So they dont protrude.
What sepcific coating should I look for so thye dont streak the fence after moisture hits it.
I think I heard Galvanized streaks.

Also what gauge nailer should I be looking to buy?

Today i bought a harbor freight one. But finding the nails for it locally was impossible. 11 gaue or .12 diameter by 1 3/4 length.
I asked them whay thye sold a gun that you dont sell nails for ? He said I dont know :D

Thanks

Chad Helme
07-15-2009, 5:47 PM
Basically, your other choice of nails is stainless steel.

The most common coil nailer I know of would be Stanley/Bostich. If you can't find nails that fit those guns, you should get out of the sticks.

I'm a little concerned with your description of the project. Said you were gonna nail through a 2x and then into the fence board? That would leave 1/4 inch on the end of a nail holding the board in place? I hope you mean that you're gonna nail through the fence board into the 2x6, so that the head of the nail is holding the board on. Or maybe I just misunderstood your approach.

Greg Cole
07-15-2009, 5:57 PM
Hitachi nailers here for coil nails (siding & roofing). I prefer screws for fence pickets as with most exterior stuff where sheer strength isn't an issue.
Stainless will definately not streak.

Bill Hartman
07-15-2009, 6:04 PM
If you are going to nail it I would use galvinized ring shank nails. I use a framing gun. If the nail sticks out the back side, just angle your nail a little.

Dick Bringhurst
07-15-2009, 6:09 PM
If you mean you are driving the nail through the fence slat into the 2x, I use a Hatachi AV65AH with coil, treated ring shank nails. Haven't seen any staining at all in 3-4 years in the Pacific Northwest. Nailer and nails available at the BORG. It wil drive up to a 21/2 inch nail. They are available in varying lenths up to that. Dick B.

Craig D Peltier
07-15-2009, 6:12 PM
Basically, your other choice of nails is stainless steel.

The most common coil nailer I know of would be Stanley/Bostich. If you can't find nails that fit those guns, you should get out of the sticks.

I'm a little concerned with your description of the project. Said you were gonna nail through a 2x and then into the fence board? That would leave 1/4 inch on the end of a nail holding the board in place? I hope you mean that you're gonna nail through the fence board into the 2x6, so that the head of the nail is holding the board on. Or maybe I just misunderstood your approach.

yes sorry, worded it wrong.

Rich Engelhardt
07-16-2009, 7:04 AM
Hello,

Also what gauge nailer should I be looking to buy?

Palm...

Seriously, a palm nailer is what I use for small stuff like this.
If I did fencing for a living, I might consider something else - but - a palm nailer is so flexible it's hard to imagine not having one.

It's not quite as quick as a coil gun & uses more air, but it beats the heck out of doing it by hand. It also allows the use of any type of nail & you don't have to pay a premium for them.