PDA

View Full Version : Picking a new block plane

Matt Radtke
07-15-2009, 2:16 PM
I've got an old, no-name adjustable mouth block plane at home. Never been a big fan of it and it works just okay. For its replacement, I know I want to go with either LN or LV. What I don't know is

1) who? More of an opinion choice, but if by chance someone has a block from each, I'd love to hear which you prefer.

2) How valuable is the adjustable mouth? I currently don't adjust my current block's mouth. The adjuster is bent and the only places it fits around the lock screw is "nearly closed" and "wide open." And I have to remove the lock screw to get it between the two.

Mike Henderson
07-15-2009, 2:33 PM
Both the LN and the LV are excellent. The choice is more about which one fits your hand best. I think the new LV is about the same size as the LN but the older LV is larger than the LN.

I've owned both and prefer the LN.

Also go to Woodcraft and try the WoodRiver block plane.

Mike

Jim Koepke
07-15-2009, 4:03 PM
Matt,

Welcome to the Creek.

Since there are no LN or LV block planes in my shop there can be no comment on them. What can be commented on is that my experience finds that a low angle block plane comes in more useful than a standard angle block plane. My #65, #65-1/2 and #60-1/2 are used all the time. My #9-1/2 and #18 are almost never used.

I am sure that others will swear by their #9-1/2 or other standard angle block plane.

My experience also prefers an adjustable mouth. I find it to be like a fine adjustment when trimming end grain. There are many who do not see an advantage to an adjustable mouth. That is why milage varies for each user.

Your profile does not have your location information. You might check to see if there are going to be any woodworking shows in your area where the planes may be available for you to use. LN has a page on their site for upcoming shows.

There may also be other woodworkers in your area who would let you get some hands on time with their toys.

To determine which would be best for you really can not be done with out knowing how the plane feels in your hands. Both LN and LV make good quality products, but individuals have different hands.

jim

Tom Esh
07-15-2009, 4:58 PM
They're both dang near perfect as far as I can tell. In the end I chose the LV (low-angle traditional style) simply because of the blade skew adjustment. (The LN doesn't have one and I'm not sure my sharpening skills are up to maintaining that factory-square edge.) Out of the box a couple swipes on the 8000 grit stone and I was taking full-width transparent shavings. It's a bit wider and heftier than the LN but that's worked out fine for me because I also use it as a mini smoother with a high-angle slightly cambered blade. I got the adjustable mouth, but I've actually only used that feature enough to know it works (unlike the collection of POS paperweights it has replaced.:D).

Matt Radtke
07-15-2009, 5:04 PM
Matt,

Your profile does not have your location information. You might check to see if there are going to be any woodworking shows in your area where the planes may be available for you to use. LN has a page on their site for upcoming shows.

It may come to that. I want to go to the "Woodworking in America" show around august 15th (in Chicago. I'm from Madison, WI), but that falls within the time frame of "wife may give birth at any time."

David Keller NC
07-15-2009, 5:18 PM
One comment about maintaining the factory-square edge on the Lie-Nielsen 9-1/2 and the 60-1/2 block planes. There is some "wiggle room" between the blade sides and the inside edge of the plane. My guess is that you can be about 10 degrees off of 90 and still keep a consistent blade projection across the mouth, assuming that you don't camber (curve) the front of the blade.

This is, by the way, what I do, as I frequently use the standard angle block plane as a micro-smoother (I have nieces and nephews that I make toys for - either the #2 or the block plane serves as a "jointer" for those little parts). The camber I put on the blade is what is generally recommended for a smoother - just a few extra swipes on the polishing stone on the alternate sides of the blade.

And yes, I do use the mouth adjustment because I'm frequently using the plane on long-grain rather than end-grain for which it was originally designed where mouth opening has no effect on the planed surface.

The low-angle L-N may be your best bet if you can only have one and can afford a couple of extra blades - one at the standard 25 degree bevel, and one at a 40 degree bevel. With a closed mouth and a cambered blade, it will plane gnarly grain without tearout. That wouldn't be my first choice for the 8" wide side of a board - a #3 standard BD with a 10 deree back-bevel is my go-to for that situation. But the block plane withe 40 degree blade to plane smooth the four posters of a Tester bed that's only 8" high in highly curly maple would be tough with bigger planes - and even a little tear-out might mean ruining the piece and starting over.

One final comment about the L-N - they are ground at a true 90 degrees to their sides and make really nice planes for a shooting board.

Joel Goodman
07-15-2009, 7:33 PM
+1 on the LN lack of lateral adjuster on the block plane -- not an issue. Same for the #62.