PDA

View Full Version : My First Lathe

Jonathan Patrick
08-31-2004, 8:34 PM
I just ordered my first lathe. It is the 14" Jet Mini. Small in comparison to what I'm sure most of you are used to but a lathe none the less. I am dumb as a rock when it comes to lathes so I come to the "experts" for help and advice.

I have been told that I should look into a turners club and/or try to get a mentor. I plan to do that if time and money permits but in the mean time I would like some general info of: what to expect from the hobby of turning, where I can get a few inexpensive turning tools, what tools-limited budget-to get started, and can I safely experiment with it when it arrives this week. I ask the last question because I have never used one and have seen them used only a few times, mostly on TV.

I have a very well equiped shop and have learned the use of 99% of those tools and techniques by OJT for the most part.

So, what do ya'll think?

Thanks
Jonathan

Dick Parr
08-31-2004, 8:45 PM
If you have a woodcraft close by they rent turning videos. Harbor Frieght has some inexpensive turning tools to get started with. I think an 8 piece HSS set is around $30-$40. After you use that set for awhile you will know what tools you use the most and can upgrade as time goes on.

The Jet mini is a great lathe and is ready as soon as you get it, if you have some tools to turn with. Just find a log/branch and put it between centers and start turning and making chips. You will also need a large dust pan or a good vac system. :eek: It does make a few chips. :D

Have fun with it.

Jim Ketron
08-31-2004, 8:53 PM
Congrats Jonathan
I have a Jet mini lathe there a lot of fun don't expect to do much other woodworking when you get started there very addictive:D
I purchased the set from Harbor freight I think it was $39.00 its a good starter set you will allso need a way to keep them sharp(grinder) and maybe somekind of sharpening jig to help keep them sharp you can make your own.
It also depends on what you want to make with your lathe I purchased a chuck they are very expensive $$ but you can get by without one on some things.
get you a video or some books to help you!
Jim

Wes Bischel
08-31-2004, 10:12 PM
Jonathan,

I would second (third, fourth?) the HF HSS turning tools. I bought a set on sale around $29 and they perform well. Also, don't forget the full face shield - I don't trust just safety glasses on the lathe.

"I am dumb as a rock when it comes to lathes so I come to the "experts" for help and advice." Well, this ain't called the Creek for nothin' - just some rocks have "tumbled" more than others so they don't show the sharp edges. :D

I think you're going to really like the lathe - it stands apart from other WW tools - a lot more free form.

Have fun!
Wes