PDA

View Full Version : Must have 3520 accessories?

Brent Grooms
07-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Well unless there is a major upheaval and the planets get out of alignment I have been green lighted to upgrade from the Jet mini lathe to a PM (intending that this be the last upgrade). To shop for pricing, I am looking for advise on what would be the must have accessories. Right now I am thinking of the 18in bed extension and maybe the remote switch. I know I will need to get additional faceplates, toolrests and a new chuck (to start) Any other suggestions?

George Morris
07-15-2009, 1:01 PM
I have a remote switch for my 3520 it is a must have!! Check out the mustard monster site you can find it on the AAW forum site there is some great info there! I made the swing away arm for mine it was designed by Ray Lanham a fine job by him . Also made the ballast box with storage . Hope this helps!! George

Thomas Canfield
07-15-2009, 9:08 PM
Brent,

A friend help me set up my 3520 lathe and add a home made "shop made" remote switch. The wiring diagram is part of the instruction book and the switch is added in series with the machine start/stop switch. I used a section of extension cord for wire and a PVC outlet box for the switch with a magnet attached to allow moving easily on the bed. The original switch was a heavy duty ight switch that got dust in the contacts fairly fast, and I changed to a standard switch with a weather-proof switch cover. It is a little harder to use, but still the flexibility is great and cost about $10.

I would also suggest a 6" tool rest for some smaller work. I have also bought a shop-made "post" to use with parting tool in narrow opening, and a longer tool rest that I had to use inside a 19" bowl.

I bought a 1 1/4" extension on recommendation and have used it a couple of times to get the chuck or faceplate further away from lathe to obtain clearance.

There will be many additional items to look at, and I recommend a steady rest from Jeff Nichol at woodeninicol.com when you get to that point.

Tom Hintz
07-16-2009, 2:19 AM
First, you are going to love the 3520. I think it might actually be illegal to disslike it so be careful....
I got the 18" bed extension along with the tools rest riser so I could mount it in the lower holes on the legs. That accommodates huge bowl/platter blanks. I remain glad I got that extension almost four years later. I have photos of this setup in my review at the link below.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/pm3520brvu.html

Doug Thompson
07-16-2009, 3:09 AM
Here another vote for the remote switch, it sure does come handy when your working at the end of the lathe.

Ron Hardy
07-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Brent-- When a friend of mine and I bought our 3520b the business was sent an extra bed extension. Apparently the company does not want it back and the manager does not know what to do with it. Its a woodworkers shop where we hold our turning meetings at. If your interested PM me and I'll get you a phone number. I have no idea what he would want for it or shipping but call and ask if you wish.
Ron

Brent Grooms
07-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the input guys... its nice to know that I am on the right track (for a change :eek:) I am hoping that they will have some sort of incentives going by the end of the year to sweeten the pot.

Ron, thanks for the offer... if its still available when I get the trigger pulled, I may just have to take you up on it.;)

Joe Aliperti
07-16-2009, 1:05 PM
I know this hobby is a vortex, but you could probably get by with 200-300 accessories or so.

Joe Meirhaeghe
07-16-2009, 6:23 PM
Brent-- When a friend of mine and I bought our 3520b the business was sent an extra bed extension. Apparently the company does not want it back and the manager does not know what to do with it. Its a woodworkers shop where we hold our turning meetings at. If your interested PM me and I'll get you a phone number. I have no idea what he would want for it or shipping but call and ask if you wish.
Ron
Ron I'm interested if your friend would like to sell the bed extension. I'm also located in IL so I may be able to pick it up so he wouldn'nt have to deal with shipping.
Please PM me with any details you have. Thanks Joe

RL Johnson
07-16-2009, 6:59 PM
I think you are going to need a dust collector because you are going to get a whole lot morechips and shavings from your new lathe than you can imagine. Of course if you are on the short side you can let them heap up and stand on them:D.

Ron Hardy
07-17-2009, 1:33 PM
For those who were interested in the extension . I just talked to the manager of the Millworks store and he advised that the extension is gone. Someone called him yesterday and picked it up.
Ron