PDA

View Full Version : Small Sycamore Bowl

Dominic Greco
08-31-2004, 4:22 PM
Below are some pictures of a Sycamore bowl I just finished last night. The wood came from a huge slab that Ron from Drums PA gave when we both attended Bill Grumbine's famous "5 Barns BBQ".

Having never turned Sycamore before, I had no idea what to expect. While I was cutting the slab up into blanks, I got a glimpse of some of the hidden figure. The grain pattern looked like a smaller, tighter version of lacewood! The scraps looked so good, that I cut them up for pen blanks. I call this "the Buffalo treatment". Why? Cause the Plains Indians were said to make use of every scrap from a buffalo hunt! :>)

I found turning Sycamore to be a lot like Beech. When dry, it's somewhat brittle. You need to have your tools well honed to maintain a nice crisp edge. You should also consider sealing the wood before trying to apply a finish. If you don't, you'll get blotches where the end grain has soaked up more of the finish than the face grain. I applied a coat of my home made sanding sealing with is a mixture of 50% mineral spirits and 50% varnish. If this sounds like the same mixture I use to wet sand, you're right. However, I recently purchased a can of Bull's Eye sanding sealer and will try that out on the next several sycamore bowls I have in production. I'll tell you all how I made out.

As you can see, this bowl blank didn't have the spectacular grain pattern that the pen blanks had. So I decided to concentrate on the shape more. I added a small lip, with a burned ring at the rim to give it definition. The base also got a set of concentric burned rings.

Specs:
Outer dia.: 7 3/8"
Height: 2 3/8"
Wall thickness: 1/4"
Base dia.: 3 1/4"
Sanding Method: Dry sanded to 2000 Grit.
Finish: Watco's Danish Oil
Final: Buffed with Beall System

Thanks for viewing!

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
08-31-2004, 4:36 PM
Good plain lines and good looking wood. Nice finish too. Keep posting, Dominic.

Michael Stafford
08-31-2004, 4:51 PM
Love the color. Nice form and finish.

Chris Padilla
08-31-2004, 5:28 PM
Very clean lines, Dom. Your eye for shape is maturing well...right before our very SMC eyes, lil' Dom is growing up to be an awesome lathesman! :D

Dick Parr
08-31-2004, 5:54 PM
Very very nice Dom.

Kurt Aebi
08-31-2004, 6:30 PM
Can You Say.............

SWEET!!!!!

Great work Dominic.

Dominic Greco
09-01-2004, 7:36 AM
Thanks for all the compliments!

Garry Smith
09-01-2004, 9:47 AM
I like the design - Looks great

Garry

Jim Becker
09-01-2004, 12:24 PM
Very nice, Dominic. I still haven't turned sycamore, but have been "negotiating" with Mr. Sweeney for some of his in exchange for a bit of Stubby time... :D

Brad Schmid
09-01-2004, 12:35 PM
Very nice Dominic, I like the rim treatment.
Brad