PDA

View Full Version : I'm not impressed with my SawStop...

Brian Penning
07-15-2009, 10:25 AM
There's no warning system to tell you that your miter gauge is in line with the blade....heavy sigh.....:( :rolleyes:
WWII blade on top of that....another heavy sigh....:(

Maurice Ungaro
07-15-2009, 11:06 AM
D'OH!

We must remember..."nothing is fool proof......fools are so ingenious." :D

Chip Lindley
07-15-2009, 11:09 AM
OMG! No *Miter Gauge Radar*? "Mr.Sawstop" need to get right on that!

Gimme a Break, Please!

Don Bullock
07-15-2009, 11:11 AM
Perhaps they need need to develop a system for that. It seems to be the most common problem with SawStops.;) At least you know that your brake works.:D

Kyle Iwamoto
07-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Wait. You tried to cut your miter gage? I didn't think it would hit it.

Well, now you can buy an Incra or Kreg......

Bummin.....

Dan Friedrichs
07-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Ok - I'm confused. Is the miter gauge long enough to touch the blade while in the track?? If so, how do you use it? :confused: What am I not understanding?

Myk Rian
07-15-2009, 11:48 AM
I put a nice slice through my Osbourne EB-3. Darned Steel City saw didn't tell me it was in the way.

George Bregar
07-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Ok - I'm confused. Is the miter gauge long enough to touch the blade while in the track?? If so, how do you use it? :confused: What am I not understanding? Most add on miter gauges can be placed so they hit the blade. I've done it. More than once. :D

Barry Vabeach
07-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Brian, you were using an aftermarket gauge, right? I didn't think it can hit the standard gauge. I guess it would be better if they had a red mark painted on the table surface in front of the blade to remind you.

Narayan Nayar
07-15-2009, 12:08 PM
It's rumored that the inventors of SawStop braking technology will spawn a secondary product line called "UserStop" to prevent these kinds of accidents.

UserStop uses ABT (Advanced Bungee Technology) to retract the user from making the following mistakes:

Shoving a miter gauge through the SawStop
Leaving a cold soda can on the SawStop tablesaw surface
Leaving a cold beer can on the SawStop tablesaw surface*
Placing one's foot in their mouth, particularly regarding the purchase of equipment in the proximity of TWCB (Those Who Control the Budget)*

*this feature is only available on the Industrial UserStop

I've seen a demo on You Tube on that last feature: totally amazing. Wouldn't even be able to see the bungees working if it weren't for the high-speed camera.

Jim Foster
07-15-2009, 12:21 PM
With all due respect, if you ever accidentally try and cut an appendage off, you will be quite impressed with the Sawstop; which I assume is why you bought it. :)

There's no warning system to tell you that your miter gauge is in line with the blade....heavy sigh.....:( :rolleyes:
WWII blade on top of that....another heavy sigh....:(

Brian Penning
07-15-2009, 12:26 PM
Yeah, was an Osborne. I think what happened was that the last time I used it was on the right side of the blade and had to move the fence.
Forgot to put it back.

Y'know, I can't even find where the blade touched the fence -not even a scratch.

Bruce Page
07-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Lights & sirens go off on my Unisaw whenever I’m about to slice into my Incra! I thought that was standard on all table saws...

Steve Rozmiarek
07-15-2009, 2:14 PM
It's rumored that the inventors of SawStop braking technology will spawn a secondary product line called "UserStop" to prevent these kinds of accidents.

UserStop uses ABT (Advanced Bungee Technology) to retract the user from making the following mistakes:

Shoving a miter gauge through the SawStop
Leaving a cold soda can on the SawStop tablesaw surface
Leaving a cold beer can on the SawStop tablesaw surface*
Placing one's foot in their mouth, particularly regarding the purchase of equipment in the proximity of TWCB (Those Who Control the Budget)*

*this feature is only available on the Industrial UserStop

I've seen a demo on You Tube on that last feature: totally amazing. Wouldn't even be able to see the bungees working if it weren't for the high-speed camera.

Now thats funny!

Brian Kincaid
07-15-2009, 2:24 PM
Bummer ($$$) for the original poster. Hillarious for everyone else! Thanks for the laugh O.P.! :D

-Brian

Kyle Iwamoto
07-15-2009, 2:49 PM
When was the cold beer warning installed? My ICS does not have that. Can mine be retrofitted?:)

Billy Chambless
07-15-2009, 2:55 PM
Ok - I'm confused. Is the miter gauge long enough to touch the blade while in the track?? If so, how do you use it? :confused: What am I not understanding?

I'm so glad you asked that, because I was feeling kind of dumb.

Larry Browning
07-15-2009, 3:19 PM
Wait a minute!! Are you saying that the SS brake fired when he did this? So I guess this means that a SS is limited to cutting non-metal objects. Wow!!! No aluminum stock cutting on the SS. Hmm, that would be a problem for me. I think if I had a sawstop I would be constantly worried about the silly thing firing.
The more I hear about this thing the more I am happy I don't have one.

Glenn Clabo
07-15-2009, 3:22 PM
"Includes bypass switch for cutting metal ..."

David DeCristoforo
07-15-2009, 3:37 PM
"UserStop uses ABT (Advanced Bungee Technology) to retract the user from making the following mistakes:..."

OK... That's funny. I'm going to be laughing for the rest of the day.... thanx...

Philip Rodriquez
07-15-2009, 3:38 PM
I wonder if my beer can would set my ICS off? Perhaps I should switch to glass!:p

Joe Mioux
07-15-2009, 3:52 PM
Been there and done it!

my second cut with my Sawstop, i used my osborne mitre gauge. it was set up for my old saw.

i caught not even the full kerf of the blade with the Al tip of miter gauge.

Brent Smith
07-15-2009, 4:07 PM
Your own fault for buying that new fangled SawStop contraption!!! BOTH times when I ran a blade through my Osborne on my tried and true old fashioned Uni it let out a screetch to let me know :o:p.

Larry Browning
07-15-2009, 4:11 PM
"Includes bypass switch for cutting metal ..."
So does that bypass the brake entirely, making it like a "normal" saw that can cut off your fingers?

Larry Browning
07-15-2009, 4:12 PM
Brent,
What IS that thing in your signature suppose to be? A baby cradle with the baby smoking a cigar? That is the least crude I could imagine, everything else I came up with I couldn't say here.

george wilson
07-15-2009, 4:17 PM
Is that supposed to be a reason not to be impressed with Sawstop? I found mine to be a PITA,but for other reasons.

David Schmaus
07-15-2009, 5:12 PM
Wow, I hope your joking...

Brent Smith
07-15-2009, 5:44 PM
Brent,
What IS that thing in your signature suppose to be? A baby cradle with the baby smoking a cigar? That is the least crude I could imagine, everything else I came up with I couldn't say here.

HA,HA,HA.....Hi Larry,

That's a drawing of a chariot plane. The SPCHT stands for 'Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Hand Tools'. It was started a few years back on a French language woodworking forum here in Quebec and came into use on another forum I'm no longer associated with. I decided to carry it over here with me. It's up for grabs to any of you Neanders out there that want it.

BTW....Our OP in this post once came up with another reading of the letters.....I believe he still looks over his shoulder when in a room of hand tool lovers :D.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread..........

Sam Blanchard
07-15-2009, 5:58 PM
Brian - I feel your pain. You'll also want to watch out for the first time you install a dado set and the dado cartridge. There's no warning bells or siren for making sure you re-set the blade/brake distance.
DAMHIKT :o

Peter Quinn
07-15-2009, 7:33 PM
Hmmm, my PM66 sliced right through the Alu fence on the Accu-miter, second time I used it. No screaming, no break, no bungee. Just sliced it like butter. It took me a few minutes to look at it and wonder "Hey, when did that happen?" No worse for the wear really. Look on the bright side, now you get a souvenir to hang on your shop wall!

george wilson
07-15-2009, 8:04 PM
I bought a Sawstop saw for where I worked before I retired. I had to also buy the 8" dado,and its extra brake,though we already had a perfectly good 6" dado set. The saw was very sensitive to 10" blades that weren't EXACTLY 10" in diameter. 1/16" difference and the brake had to be adjusted. The saw could not be used with blades like my specially ground 6" blade for cutting .020" slots for guitar frets,or any other special blades I had,unless they were 10". Even if the saw's safety features were turned off,unless the safety features,such as adjusting for 10" blade variations were satisfied,the saw would not start.

I was stuck with the small 4" exhaust port that was built into the saw. I liked the 6" one we used to have.

No,I was not joking.

johnny means
07-15-2009, 8:38 PM
Funny, Saw Stop is the only product I have ever seen people complain about when it works exactly as designed and advertised. I myself like the fact my biggest fret (when using the tablesaw) is the $300 or so that a slip-up might cost me.

Was this fence contact a product of forgetting to check the fence placement or not understanding how the saw works?

george wilson
07-15-2009, 8:55 PM
As far as safety is concerned,it is just fine. I just want to see it developed further so that you can at least use differing blades on it. I have had a few nicks in 55 years of using table saws,but would hold out for future improvements. I do a lot of small,specialized work,and like my small,special blades.

Ron Knapp
07-15-2009, 9:25 PM
I was standing next to a sawstop where someone did exactly that. I was a nice gentle pop and only put a nick in the miter fence.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-15-2009, 11:24 PM
As far as safety is concerned,it is just fine. I just want to see it developed further so that you can at least use differing blades on it. I have had a few nicks in 55 years of using table saws,but would hold out for future improvements. I do a lot of small,specialized work,and like my small,special blades.

That's a real big complaint. Sell your Sawstop and go back? I'm in the same boat, and I've decided to keep an eye out for a Dewalt tabletop or similar for that small fret slot blades that won't run on a SS. Or a Jet miniature.

Zach England
07-15-2009, 11:46 PM
On a primarily unrelated note, can anyone tell me what the patent situation is with the saw stop? is it a feature that might be used by other manufacturers anytime soon?

Mike Henderson
07-16-2009, 12:56 AM
On a primarily unrelated note, can anyone tell me what the patent situation is with the saw stop? is it a feature that might be used by other manufacturers anytime soon?
Last I had checked, he had a number of patents and they had about 15 years to run (could be a bit less than 15, don't remember). I know he tried to get other saw manufacturers to license his technology but none did. Now that he's making saws, he may not be interested in licensing.

That doesn't mean that other manufacturers couldn't come up with different technology to do the same thing (unless the Sawstop guy has a basic patent on stopping the blade). People are inventive and there's usually more than one way to solve a problem.

Mike

johnny means
07-16-2009, 1:38 AM
Last I saw, he swore he would never let anyone, including himself have exclusive rights to his patents. Manufacturers just don't see the upside in the safety for themselves.

Last I had checked, he had a number of patents and they had about 15 years to run (could be a bit less than 15, don't remember). I know he tried to get other saw manufacturers to license his technology but none did. Now that he's making saws, he may not be interested in licensing.

That doesn't mean that other manufacturers couldn't come up with different technology to do the same thing (unless the Sawstop guy has a basic patent on stopping the blade). People are inventive and there's usually more than one way to solve a problem.

Mike

Mike Cruz
07-16-2009, 7:37 AM
Dittos...I NEED this on ALL my equipment...EXCEPT the beer thing...how are you supposed to get any work done without a brew on EVERY machine. They go right next to the safety glasses...sorry, face shields.

Brian Peters
07-16-2009, 9:09 PM
If you need a warning, alarm, bells whistles or technology to remind you not to run things like an aftermarket miter fence into the blade then you simply need to step back, take a break and return to using big boy tools when you're good and ready. :confused:

Mike Cruz
07-16-2009, 9:44 PM
Nice tone...we all make mistakes. I took the thread with tongue and cheek. Sometimes we all need a bell, whistle, or alarm. Maybe not you, but the rest of us do.

george wilson
07-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Yes,and don't tell your mother you play with dangerous stuff out in the garage!!!

I do not have a Sawstop in my personal shop. I bought the sawstop for the toolmaker's shop in Williamsburg before I retired. My replacement was primarily a metal worker,and new to woodworking,so I figured it would be safer for him.

It would be rare if any of you have heard of the tablesaw I do have,which I bought new in 1964. It is still my only table saw. It was Dewalt's answer to the Unisaw,weighing 600#,about twice the Unisaw's weight,I think. It is a left tilt 10" saw much smoother running,and more accurate than the Unisaw. Unlike the Unisaw,with its folded sheetmetal fence that moved when you locked it,my saw has a solid,cast fence that to this day never moves when it is locked. Plus,it lifts right off. It is actually much better,and simpler than any of the expensive fences you can buy today. I don't know why they have to make such complicated fences.

My saw has a 3/4" arbor.Years ago,most blades came with a knockout bushing for 3/4". Today,it is an inconvenience,as I have to bore out any blade I buy on my milling machine with a carbide boring tool. I do think the heavier duty arbor and better bearing arrangement contribute a lot to the saw's smoothness.

I think going non standard on the arbor hurt Dewalt's competition with Delta,as I've seen only 1 or 2 other saws like it ever.

Anyone who uses one would be struck by the smoothness with which the old Dewalt runs. Its bearings are farther apart than the Delta,and there is a triple belt drive. Nothing is potmetal except the throatplate,should the saw strike it.

johnny means
07-16-2009, 11:43 PM
If you need a warning, alarm, bells whistles or technology to remind you not to run things like an aftermarket miter fence into the blade then you simply need to step back, take a break and return to using big boy tools when you're good and ready. :confused:

Seriously, it isn't that big a leap to imagine that that type of error could easily have been a finger. What if he had his hand on the fence that he thought was was a safe place. He should just be thankful that he has the opportunity to be more careful next time.

Simon Dupay
07-17-2009, 7:38 PM
Yes,and don't tell your mother you play with dangerous stuff out in the garage!!!

I do not have a Sawstop in my personal shop. I bought the sawstop for the toolmaker's shop in Williamsburg before I retired. My replacement was primarily a metal worker,and new to woodworking,so I figured it would be safer for him.

It would be rare if any of you have heard of the tablesaw I do have,which I bought new in 1964. It is still my only table saw. It was Dewalt's answer to the Unisaw,weighing 600#,about twice the Unisaw's weight,I think. It is a left tilt 10" saw much smoother running,and more accurate than the Unisaw. Unlike the Unisaw,with its folded sheetmetal fence that moved when you locked it,my saw has a solid,cast fence that to this day never moves when it is locked. Plus,it lifts right off. It is actually much better,and simpler than any of the expensive fences you can buy today. I don't know why they have to make such complicated fences.

My saw has a 3/4" arbor.Years ago,most blades came with a knockout bushing for 3/4". Today,it is an inconvenience,as I have to bore out any blade I buy on my milling machine with a carbide boring tool. I do think the heavier duty arbor and better bearing arrangement contribute a lot to the saw's smoothness.

I think going non standard on the arbor hurt Dewalt's competition with Delta,as I've seen only 1 or 2 other saws like it ever.

Anyone who uses one would be struck by the smoothness with which the old Dewalt runs. Its bearings are farther apart than the Delta,and there is a triple belt drive. Nothing is potmetal except the throatplate,should the saw strike it.
Actually your saw was made by Atlas for dewalt.

John Lucas
07-17-2009, 8:08 PM
Does this mean you can't exactly square cutoffs of your franks?

george wilson
07-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Atlas bought Clausing in the 1950's,but they sold their woodworking line in the 50's,too,before my saw was made. It was made by Clausing,and googling atlas clausing 10" table saw will produce a picture of a saw like mine,except the finish is different. I saw some Atlas saws,and they were tiny,bench top junk more typical of Atlas's line of home shop stuff. I don't have the cast iron grillwork saw top extension. I never liked them. Mine has 3 extra solid cast iron extensions. That makes my table the size of the 1 shown,except that the whole top is solid without grates.

Clausing made real industrial machinery,not at all like Atlas. That explains the heavy construction of my saw. I am glad to have found that out. I always thought dewalt made their own machines. Dewalt also offered a lighter saw with a heavy duty direct drive arbor. This kept the 10" blade from cutting very deep,due to the diameter of the motor. I refused to buy it at the time.Compared to most stuff today,it was still a good,heavy saw in the contractor's saw category.

Brian Penning
09-04-2009, 5:34 PM
As an addendum I received my repaired WW II back today with the new teeth and as sharp as it was when new.
I'm a happy camper! (Still haven't bought a new backup brake cartridge though..lol)

Robert Chapman
09-04-2009, 8:45 PM
Well put Johnny