PDA

View Full Version : Yet another mobility approach

Jamie Buxton
08-31-2004, 4:20 PM
A few years ago I was working on cabinets in a big expensive kitchen -- the kind with polished marble floors. The appliances were big -- one of those huge SubZero fridges, and a giant restaurant-style range. In the back of my head I wondered how the appliance guys were going to install those appliances without skratching the floors. I happened to be around when they brought in the appliances. They had a device named Air-Sled (http://www.airsled.com/appliance.htm) which is kinda like a cross between a furniture dolly and a hovercraft. It floated these big appliances on air. There was absolutely nothing touching the floors but air, and no chance of skratches.

In addition to the coolness factor, I've always thought that one of these would work very well to move big woodworking machines around the shop.

Michael Ballent
08-31-2004, 4:48 PM
Those are way cool... but the price leaves me in shock. Ouch. I would assume that you would need a pretty level surface for them to work effectively.

Chris Padilla
08-31-2004, 5:31 PM
Slick...I sleep on an air-bed...keeps the back in check! :)

Steven Wilson
08-31-2004, 5:37 PM
Thanks for posting this, I'll have to file it away. I was thinking of picking up a Jet 12" bandsaw and mounting it on roller balls or "air" to use it for scroll cutting timbers (as in a Pergola), it's nice to see someone has something already in the market place.

Steve Jenkins
08-31-2004, 6:31 PM
Thanks for posting this, I'll have to file it away. I was thinking of picking up a Jet 12" bandsaw and mounting it on roller balls or "air" to use it for scroll cutting timbers (as in a Pergola), it's nice to see someone has something already in the market place.

I needed to cut a couple timbers like that once and just set the bandsaw on a 4 wheeled dolly and made sawhorses the right height to lay the timbers on. Worked pretty good. Steve