PDA

View Full Version : Editing post - Title...

Dennis Peacock
08-31-2004, 12:01 PM
OK....I've edited two posts of mine, of which are the "start" of a message thread. Why can't I change the actual Subject? Example, I create a post and click Submit. I turn right around and edit the Subject line of at least what I "think" is the thread title. Nope. Isn't there a way I can change the Subject of a starting thread?

Keith Outten
08-31-2004, 8:02 PM
Dennis,

Look at the top bar, do you see thread tools on the list? Select Edit from the drop down list and you should be able to edit the title.

Dennis Peacock
09-01-2004, 12:54 PM
Dennis,

Look at the top bar, do you see thread tools on the list? Select Edit from the drop down list and you should be able to edit the title.

Keith,

Thread Tools is there. No Edit selection. I can edit the post and it ACTS like it will allow me to change the title....I make the change and the title remains the same. Got back to edit the post and my changes are there....just not on the thread index. A bug maybe?

Keith Outten
09-01-2004, 10:15 PM
Dennis,

The ability to edit thread titles is on the Admin dropdown. Possibly this is something Aaron can enable for all members, I thought it was already enabled.

Jim Ketron
09-01-2004, 11:37 PM
Ive tryed to do it once before and it done the same as Dennis describes.

Jim

Dennis Peacock
09-02-2004, 2:20 AM
OK...just wasn't sure. Thanks Keith.

Aaron Koehl
09-02-2004, 2:05 PM
Dennis,

Somewhat counterintuitively, the "first post" title doesn't represent the thread title. Currently, moderators of a particular forum can edit the thread title via the Thread Tools.

Frank Pellow
09-06-2004, 4:40 PM
Dennis,

The ability to edit thread titles is on the Admin dropdown. Possibly this is something Aaron can enable for all members, I thought it was already enabled.

I would cerrtainly have used ths capability if it had been available to me. Aaron, can you enable it for the person who started the thread? I don't think that anyone but an administrator or the person who started the thread shouls be able to change the title.

Aaron Koehl
09-07-2004, 9:36 AM
I would cerrtainly have used ths capability if it had been available to me. Aaron, can you enable it for the person who started the thread? I don't think that anyone but an administrator or the person who started the thread shouls be able to change the title.Unfortunately, no. Currently, in order to allow someone to edit a thread, they must be given permission to delete a thread. We used to allow all members to edit/delete their own threads, but we had to remove this feature when a thread was accidently removed (and everyone's posts following it).

This is a side effect of the way the permissions currently work. Hopefully they'll split this permission apart in a future release, as I would like to allow members to edit thread titles.

Thus, this is currently a moderator's task. Fortunately, they won't have any problem updating a thread title to a particular forum, and as often as it is done, it shouldn't pose a problem.

Ken Salisbury
09-07-2004, 10:22 AM
Thus, this is currently a moderator's task. Fortunately, they won't have any problem updating a thread title to a particular forum, and as often as it is done, it shouldn't pose a problem.

I have changed many thread titles in the past. It is a simple matter of sending me a PM if you want to change your title on either the Freedom Pen or the General Woodworking forum. I will be glad to accomodate you :)

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif