PDA

View Full Version : First Turnings

Irwin Fletcher
07-14-2009, 11:48 AM
I pulled the trigger on the Rikon mini-lathe a week ago when Woodcraft had it on sale for $259. These are my first turnings in my life. I had never used a lathe before, so overall I am pretty pleased with how they turned out. Thank God for sandpaper though--let's just say it can right a lot of sins.

I can see why people say this can become addictive! Let me know what you think. Any feedback is welcome. I've been using the walnut pencil at work this morning, and I can tell I made the lower portion too fat. I thought I would like it, but it just isn't comfortable. The middle cherry pen feels just about right in my hand.

David Hostetler
07-14-2009, 11:52 AM
For first turnings, you do excellent work... Much nicer than mine. (I keep running into fractures and make bits and pieces fly...)

I haven't gotten in deep with pens yet, not even sure what I need to do that. I know I need a mandrel, but what else?

Steve Schlumpf
07-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Irwin - Welcome to the wonderful world of turning! Very nice work - especially considering these are your first turnings! Really like the Cherry pen! Have fun! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

Irwin Fletcher
07-14-2009, 12:39 PM
I haven't gotten in deep with pens yet, not even sure what I need to do that. I know I need a mandrel, but what else?

I started out with a mandrel ($23), mill cutter ($20)for squaring up the blanks, a 7mm drill bit ($5) a set of 7mm bushings ($5), and a 60-degree live center ($20) which you could really get by without. Then the three kits you see in the pics (about $20 for all three). For blanks, I had plenty of scrap laying around.

For all the parts and the three kits, I was out the door for 100 bucks at Woodcraft.

Richard Madison
07-14-2009, 1:15 PM
Nice work Irwin! You are off to a great start.

Mauricio Ulloa
07-14-2009, 1:31 PM
Wow! Really nice work!

Scott Lux
07-14-2009, 2:00 PM
It's funny how personal writing implements are. That walnut pencil looks great, and my first thought was "If only it was thicker." Someone will absolutely love that pencil.

You do very nice work. Enjoy the obsess.. hobby. :p

Lux

Steff Pace
07-14-2009, 2:20 PM
to the max. I am so broke buying pen kits, then ya gotta get the bushings to go with the pen kits. then ya gotta get the right drill bits, eeeeee! Where's the next turner's anonymous meeting??? One day at a time-and two or three pens a day- help! I'm sliding..... Oh, nice pens, too! And I love the bowl, my first looked like I took a chainsaw to it-sandpaper helps a lot!

Good luck and have fun!!!

Oh, and make sure you make a pretty one for your SO, they will be much more forgiving when you start spending LOTS of money!!!

Scott Hackler
07-14-2009, 2:37 PM
I hear that. I am a bowl type turner and now I cant quit messing with pens! I turned pens using all 5 of the original kits I bought and am awaiting the next shipment (Thursday) of 20 more kits! This hobby sure can add up $$ fast. The cool thing about the pen set up is that with the mandel, mill, bit and 5 kits.. I only have $20 each in the first pens. Now I'll only have $4-5!!!!

Phil Labowski
07-14-2009, 2:55 PM
Very nice work! I love me a fat pen! I spend hours every semester trying to find the right pen lol. Maybe I need to just make it.

Peter P. Brown
07-14-2009, 3:36 PM
I hear that. I am a bowl type turner and now I cant quit messing with pens! I turned pens using all 5 of the original kits I bought and am awaiting the next shipment (Thursday) of 20 more kits! This hobby sure can add up $$ fast. The cool thing about the pen set up is that with the mandel, mill, bit and 5 kits.. I only have $20 each in the first pens. Now I'll only have $4-5!!!!

Get them from the right places and you can bring that cost down even more. But it still cost SOMETHING to make them. Which is the ONLY reason I started selling them.

So I could justify making more pens. :) It's an extremely cyclical hobby.

Irwin Fletcher
07-14-2009, 4:38 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments. I appreciate them.

Since we're on the subject of pen kits, can anyone recommend a kit that takes the Mont Blanc rollerball refills? I absolutely love the way those write, but I haven't found a kit that takes them as of yet. Suggestions?

Bernie Weishapl
07-14-2009, 10:34 PM
Those are good looking projects for your first. Really like the cherry pen. Welcome to the wonderful world of turning.