PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly service

Gary Peterson
07-14-2009, 10:57 AM
Hello everyone, I'm new to Sawmill Creek and after reading lots and lots of reviews here on Grizzly woodworking tools I went ahead and purchased a 1023SLW table saw to replace my old Craftsman of 20 years. It was delivered in two days but I had to send the fence rail back for replacement. The powdercoat was blistered and looked like there was sand under the finish. I could have (should have) fixed it with rattlecan paint but since I paid for powdercoat I sent it back. After a week I emailed to see what was going on with it and neither tech or customer support could give me any idea whether they intended to refinish mine or replace it. I really would rather they send me a new replacement and fix the faulty one on their own time. Their response to my emails has been the typical 'we understand...' with no follow-up. I know a week and a half isn't a long time but the lack of information from support makes it seem like forever. Anyone else have any experiences or ideas with dealing with Grizzly support?

Brian Kent
07-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Yes, Gary, they are usually quicker than that. My guess is that you will end up satisfied.

scott spencer
07-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Try calling them Gary...they should have just sent a replacement.

scott spencer
07-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Try calling them Gary...they should have just sent a replacement. I know it's a toll call, but the logic is that any calls made are legitimate vs "why won't my saw run on D-cell batteries?" type calls.

Dave Wagner
07-14-2009, 12:36 PM
I had to get a couple new wrenches for my Shaper G1026 and they sent them out almost immediately when I told them about my problem and the wrenches were just the cheapo stamped steel ones that bent the first time trying to tighten the collar. But they were really quick in responding....

Gary Peterson
07-14-2009, 1:04 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, Brian and Scott. As I was typing this response to you my phone rang. Incredibly it was the Operations Manager from corporate Grizzly. Is this a great country, or what? Apparently Grizzly CEO Shiraz Balolia spotted my post and requested her to contact me personally. My mouth fell open as she apologized for not keeping me informed of the status of my returned part. They normally send a receipt conformation email when they receive returns and mine simply got overlooked somehow. As it happened the return was processed immediately on the 10th and I can expect a UPS delivery tomorrow (tracking number included). I can't tell you how good I feel about this purchase, now not only because of the quality equipment but of the people that stand behind it. Jean and Shiraz...thanks! You made my day.:D

glenn bradley
07-14-2009, 1:25 PM
This is definitely not the usual story with Griz. I'd call and simply and politely state that you would like a replacement rail ASAP. I had a bad jointer fence (it was really just a shadow in the casting but, I wanted it right). I received the replacement and shipping docs within a few days.

Dick Strauss
07-14-2009, 8:17 PM
Gary,
That is good news! Hopefully you'll have the TS you'll be proud to own and operate for the next 20 years.

Gerald Jensen
07-14-2009, 10:21 PM
I can't say enought good about Grizzly's customer service.

My G0452 jointer arrived with some tiny nicks in the knives.

I emailed Grizzly's customer service, and got a replay the next day that they were shipping me a replacement set.

They also suggested a way to remove some burrs on the underside of the infeed table that may have caused the problem.

Admittedly, the burrs shouldn't have been there in the first place, but I wound up with a fine tool, an extra set of knives, and a very good feeling about the company I was doing business with.

george wilson
07-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Grizzly has always given good service to me. I went all the way to Williamsport to buy 2 16X40" metal turning lathes. They uncrated them for me to check them out,which they really did not officially have to do.

When I got the lathes,I had never had a geared head lathe before. the lathes were sitting on concrete,and made terrible harmonic patterns on the metal being turned.

I called them,and they offered to send me a new headstock for the first lathe I had gotten into operation. The other one wasn't in use yet.

I did NOT want to have to swap a headstock weighing hundreds of pounds! When I was leveling the other lathe with wedges of oak,I discovered that as soon as the lathe was a TINY bit up off the concrete,the cut became smooth and normal!

I was VERY relieved by this,to say the least. I always keep gearhead lathes on rubber padded feet now,though I did not have that problem subsequently with other gear head lathes (that cost more!) For the cost,I was satisfied with the lathes,and they are extremely accurate,being able to actually face truly flat,and also turn a true cylinder. Many lathes face a bit hollow.

Grizzly was willing to make the lathe right,though,regardless of their cost,is my point.

Guy Belleman
07-15-2009, 6:32 AM
Fortunately, I have always had tools arrive in good condition, but all contact for parts and questions have been very prompt and precise.

Jason White
07-15-2009, 7:38 AM
It's a damned good saw, too! I have the same one.

Jason

Thanks for your thoughts, Brian and Scott. As I was typing this response to you my phone rang. Incredibly it was the Operations Manager from corporate Grizzly. Is this a great country, or what? Apparently Grizzly CEO Shiraz Balolia spotted my post and requested her to contact me personally. My mouth fell open as she apologized for not keeping me informed of the status of my returned part. They normally send a receipt conformation email when they receive returns and mine simply got overlooked somehow. As it happened the return was processed immediately on the 10th and I can expect a UPS delivery tomorrow (tracking number included). I can't tell you how good I feel about this purchase, now not only because of the quality equipment but of the people that stand behind it. Jean and Shiraz...thanks! You made my day.:D

Gary Peterson
07-15-2009, 5:22 PM
Well, UPS arrived today with the replacement fence rail and I have to say I was surprised cause it looks like someone down the chain from corporate decided to send me a used part. Deep scratches, chips & dings it looks out of place on this beautiful machine but I'm all done whining and am perfectly happy with it just so I can get back to work.
:)

george wilson
07-15-2009, 9:05 PM
I am surprised to hear that since the president himself got involved. Maybe he will see these last posts.

Chris Barnett
07-15-2009, 11:55 PM
Nothing but good support from Grizzly for four major pieces of equipment.

Matt Armstrong
07-16-2009, 1:53 AM
I am pretty convinced I'm going to go with Grizzly-anything-else-new for my shop. It's flat out awesome. The only thing that would make them more awesome is if they had even lower prices, I suppose...

Robert Payne
07-16-2009, 8:56 PM
Almost all of my stationary power tools are Grizzly and they operate very reliably. All I can say is it is a darned good thing I don't live closer to Muncy, PA or I'd be a poor man. Oh well, maybe I'll suffer and just go to the Tent Sale in September...

Cody Colston
07-16-2009, 9:56 PM
Grizzly has always done right by me and Shiraz also got involved once to get me some back ordered parts. In fact, I just today ordered the 15" planer from Grizzly that I've been coveting for a while now. The free shipping finally convinced me to get it.

Joe Hathcoat
07-18-2009, 7:45 PM
In the the middle of assembly of my new G0691 Table Saw I found that the arbor is not threaded far enough back. While I am confident that it will be taken care of I can understand the frustration. Frustration is as mild as I can put it as to what I am feeling right now as I am quite sure replacing a table saw will not be a fun process. It has been hard enough moving it and getting to the point I'm at.

Gary Peterson
07-21-2009, 2:49 PM
Well, Grizzly has replaced the rail again this time with an absolutely perfect one. It was packed to withstand a nuclear blast and I got shipping refund check same day. Even with the delay I still regard Grizzly as the best service after the sale I have ever experienced.
I think I may have to replace my old Craftsman 6" jointer next and Grizzly will be my top choice. Tha nks to everyone for their comments.

Rich Waite
07-21-2009, 5:32 PM
I live about 5 miles from the Springfield, MO Grizzly store. The sales and tech people there are extremely knowledgable and go out of there way to be helpful. If you can get the chance to visit one of their stores I'm sure you'll be impressed.