PDA

View Full Version : What products sell the best?

Randall Clark
07-14-2009, 10:35 AM
I do a little woodworking on the side. I have an adequate shop, and would like to make some extra money selling some wood products. I need some help to determine what sells well and what to stay away from. I have heard that there are some wood products that you just won't generally bring in what they are worth. What can a guy make that can be sold in a rural area (I do live 12 miles from a 40,000 people town--so I can advertise a little) and make a little "get-my-kids-through-college" money? I have been considering anything from bunny hutches to gun cabinets. Any ideas as to what sells?

Lee Schierer
07-14-2009, 11:18 AM
Quality and price are what sells, but you also have to determine the needs in the local area. It isn't clear from your post if you want to do custom cabinets or craft type projects. Both of those will sell. Making money at them is a totally different story however.

Brian Kent
07-14-2009, 11:30 AM
I have only sold in silent auctions over the last several years.

The little bandsaw boxes, straight out of the book patterns, got a lot of excitement. $35 to $60.

The item that got the most interest was the folding library steps that becomes a chair. It is handy, clever, useful, and a conversation piece. At $300, it still would not be much money per hour though.

Randall Clark
07-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Time isn't so much a problem as would be wasting it on something few people would want. I live in a rural area. I am not looking to make a killing, but I would like to add to my pastor's income. Thanks for the ideas. More would be helpful.

Brian Kent
07-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Pastor!

Birds of a feather.

Rev. Brian Kent

Brian Kent
07-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Here is the piece that went over so well.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=83681&highlight=ladder+chair

The only change from the over the counter plans was that I rounded the edges with a 1/4" round over router bit.

My next one I want to increase in size by about 10-15% because as a chair it sits a little low. I'll just take the plans to kinkos and get them enlarged.

The small size was actually a selling point for 3 short people in the church who bid on it because their feet didn't dangle.

Brian

James Jaragosky
07-14-2009, 1:01 PM
Pastor!

Birds of a feather.

Rev. Brian Kent
I live in the Midwest just north if Indianapolis, I can throw a stone in 3 directions and hit a corn field. Here is what sells for me In my part of the rural world.
Plaques with a favorite animals name on them, Horses are the most popular, and I add Two brass coat hooks to hang the bridals on.
Mail box adornments, any wacky way to dress up a mail box works around here.
Lawn art pick your favorite silhouette, pigs sell well here. I do other stuff but I use a cnc and that may not be helpful for you.
Good Luck and God bless
Jim J

James Hendrix
07-14-2009, 2:41 PM
I live in the real MidWest :D (Kansas that is)...

I make items all the time to sell and the best items for me is anything made from barnwood. Hutches, sideboards, stools, shelves, etc. My biggest problem is finding cheap barnwood (prob because I'm cheap).

Jim Finn
07-14-2009, 8:51 PM
I make and sell a lot of kids toys. Some for toddlers and some for older kids. Toy shotguns sell well as do four car train sets. Christmas yard art seems to sell well also. Some I sell on creigs list and some at craft fairs and festivals.