PDA

View Full Version : Pricing on roughcut 5/4 cherry

Frank Schambach
07-14-2009, 6:52 AM
What would be a fair price for ungraded roughcut, air dried, 5/4 cherry in southcentral New York/north central Pennsylvania. A friend of a friend who is terminally ill is trying to sell some (I havn't seen it yet) and I'm willing to make him an offer, but don't want to gyp him. He's had the lumber stored in his barn for about 10 years and has no idea what to ask for it.

Nate Carey
07-14-2009, 8:10 AM
...quantity is an important variable...

$3900 per MBF is a fair rate for 5/4 FAS KD cherry, random width, random length...

...un-graded, air dried...?

...if it looks good and is something you want...$1550 to $1750 per MBF...

Prashun Patel
07-14-2009, 9:20 AM
The prices vary pretty significantly here in Central Jersey.
You can get 5/4 for as much as $7-8/bf. But, I've seen it on CL for $4-$5 also

I think an offer of 4-5/bf for a private sale is very generous. Most of these 'types' of sales go for even lower (at least from what I read on this board).

Myk Rian
07-14-2009, 9:26 AM
Here in Mi. high grade cherry goes from $4-$8 bf. I've gotten air dried rough for $1.75-$4 bf. If there is a lot of sapwood I would stay within $2-$3.

Jeff Wright
07-14-2009, 10:35 AM
Why don't you tell me the EXACT location and I will go take a look at it for you. (he, he, he, he!) :D

Frank Drew
07-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Frank,

From a strictly economic perspective, I don't see how you can make a reasonable offer before seeing the wood, an offer fair to both you and the seller. There's no telling the quality of the lumber beforehand. (The fact that the wood is roughcut and has been air dried wouldn't be a reason to expect a discount, IMO.)

You may choose, however, to bring other considerations into the mix (his illness, etc.)

Frank Schambach
07-14-2009, 8:14 PM
Thanks Nate, Shawn, Myk and Frank for your prompt and very helpful replies. I'm going to pass them on to the owner of the wood so he can decide what to ask for it. I don't like this situation, but, on the other hand, the man needs the money, which is why my friend got me involved.