PDA

View Full Version : Southington bevel gauge

rick carpenter
07-14-2009, 12:55 AM
I have a SOHACO Southington Hardware Co bevel gauge (290 Conventional?), but looks just like a post 1904 Stanley 25. Did Stanley make these? It came with the typical user's lever replacement of steel nut, threaded rod and wingnut, so maybe I want to find some brass items to replace them. How can find a I date for this 50 cent masterpeice?

Jim Koepke
07-14-2009, 1:03 AM
I have a SOHACO Southington Hardware Co bevel gauge (290 Conventional?), but looks just like a post 1904 Stanley 25. Did Stanley make these? It came with the typical user's lever replacement of steel nut, threaded rod and wingnut, so maybe I want to find some brass items to replace them. How can find a I date for this 50 cent masterpeice?

Rick,

Welcome to the Creek.

I went to school with a Rick Carpenter. That was in Richmond, CA.

It might help to include a picture if you can.

Are there any stamps in the handle or blade?

Here is a link to a Southington Hardware catalog from the 1930s. http://toolemera.com/Trade%20Catalogs/tradecatalogs193.html

jim

rick carpenter
07-14-2009, 1:30 AM
Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I've never been to Californy and no pics available or know-how to do so. The blade has SOHACO Southington Hardware Co stamped into it. I have that 1930 pdf catalog bookmarked which is how I thought it might be the 290 Conventional. craftsofnj.org has sample Tool Shed articles online which include a Nov 96 article by Donald Johnstone on Bevels which is where I got the Stanley patent info from. Anyhow, it's a good user as is.

Jim Koepke
07-14-2009, 1:38 AM
It could be made by Stanley, they did make a lot of items branded for different retailers.

Well, it is likely their are a lot of Rick Carpenters across the country. Both names are quite popular.

What part of the country you in?

jim