PDA

View Full Version : Question about quality of Shop Fox

Josh Brouse
07-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Im looking at a Shop Fox W1683. 20" planer at $1200

First: anyone has knowledge of this specific unit.

Second: Shop Fox products in general (opinions & direct knowledge)

I did try the search button on here but got a blank page for some reason. Please forgive me if there is already a post that can answer this that I missed. If there is, can you please provide the link :)

Dave Lehnert
07-13-2009, 11:03 PM
If you have an opinion about Grizzly tool then you have your answer for the most part. ShopFox is Grizzly tools but sold through dealers. Most often with some sort of upgrade.

ed vitanovec
07-13-2009, 11:18 PM
I have a 8" Shopfox Jointer and it is a quality tool, been very happy with it.

Regards!
Ed

Josh Brouse
07-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Thanks for some quick responses

i thought it was built by someone else but Google wasn't playing nice with me i guess.

Paul Greathouse
07-13-2009, 11:24 PM
I have the Shop Fox Moulder/Planer and the Grizzly 20" Planer with the Grizzly spiral cutterhead. They are both great tools, easy to setup and use.
Like Dave said, Shop Fox and Grizzly are the same tool/company. Grizzly's are only sold "On Line" and Shop Fox are sold by dealers and On Line.

Keith Outten
07-14-2009, 3:49 AM
I also own the ShopFox planner/moulder. Its a top notch machine with the best quality stand I have ever owned. This one makes my "Best Bang For The Buck" list.

Philip Johnson
07-14-2009, 9:13 AM
I have the 20 inch spiral head planer and the 12 inch jointer and dust collector. I am not sure of the model but the one with the built in wheels. I have no complaints with any and the built in mobile base makes it easy to move. I would recommend the spiral head if it is in the budget.