PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop Converstion

gary Zimmel
07-13-2009, 10:58 PM
I may be able to pick up a 3 phase 5 hp sawstop in the crate for a real good price.
Problem is I don't have 3 phase in my shop.

Does anyone know what it would cost to convert this saw into a 1 phase machine?

Thanks in advance.

Paul Ryan
07-13-2009, 11:12 PM
I bet you could just buy a different motor. The electonics more than likely just work off one of the 3 phase legs. I am not expert on the electronic of that saw though. Give SS a call they could tell you.

Jim Foster
07-14-2009, 7:58 AM
If you have not done so yet, I would post this in the "Workshop" forum. A number of guys/gals have added 3-phase tools to their workshops.

If I understand the conversion correctly, if your 220 wiring is appropriate for the conversion, I do not think it is that expensive to get one tool set up for 3-phase if you use a static converter at the tool and not a rotary converter for the whole shop.

Chip Lindley
07-14-2009, 9:17 AM
Gary, I have run all my 3ph. *bargains* for years off of an Arco 5hp. rotary phase converter. It was a bargain in itself! If you shop around on CL or eB you can see what an *honest* 5hp RPC will run. Probably in the $400 range. It all depends. The great thing about RPCs is that any future 3ph machine you acquire (up to 5hp) can be run off your 5hp RPC.

Static converters are cheaper, and *can* be used, but real horsepower is reduced by about 1/3. With a 5hp saw in a home shop, this may be a non-issue. Each *static* converter must be sized for the machine it will run.

All the *rage* now are VFDs (variable frequency drives) but a 5hp unit will be as (or more) pricy than an RPC in the 5hp range. The downside of VFDs is that they are usually dedicated to one machine only. Future 3ph. machines would need their own VFD.

3ph. machinery can be an attractive bargain if you have an RPC. Many still snub 3ph. machines because they cannot be readily used on 230V house current. Replacing your 3ph. SS motor with a single-phase 5hp (or 3hp) may be as costly as buying an RPC. If you choose to replace the 3ph. motor with a single-phase motor, you are not getting much of a bargain after all!

Lots of choices here. Its Up To You!

Don Bullock
07-14-2009, 1:53 PM
I bet you could just buy a different motor. The electonics more than likely just work off one of the 3 phase legs. I am not expert on the electronic of that saw though. Give SS a call they could tell you.

Based on all the electrics that a SawStop has, this seems like good advice. They will be able to tell you if the brake system will still operate if you make any of the other recommended "fixes."

Mark Bosse
07-15-2009, 6:18 PM
Look at the circuit diagram in the manual. Then call them. They are great guys. If I am remembering my manual, the electronics are there for both single and three phase. The cost of a motor swap will be massively lower than trying to "fake" 3 phase. All that assumes my memory is correct on the electric diagrams.

As always, have an electrician do the actual swap. It wil cost you virtually nothing if you have the parts for him.

If I am right and you can simply swap motors and do the rehook at the mags, let me know if you want to sell your motor. I am looking to do exactly the oposite move - from single to three phase.

Mark

george wilson
07-15-2009, 9:08 PM
I would get advice from Sawstop,or you might foul up the fancy electronics. Certainly at least,I'd use nothing less than a ROTARY converter,but ask them first.