PDA

View Full Version : dust collector fixed...then broken again!! Remedy?

Jim Kappel
07-13-2009, 10:31 PM
My Harbor Freight dust collector didn't work yesterday. I replaced the start capacitor and it worked.

I ran the DC for a handful of router passes, shut it off, then fired it up and it's doing the same thing again. It's got the low buzz sound but won't fire up completely. I took the motor to the place that sold me the start cap and he checked the start cap. It's still working so it rules that out.

Any more advice? I left the motor at the shop for them to look at but thought I'd ask here just in case anyone has run into this problem.

Thanks,
Jim

Chip Lindley
07-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Short of a FRIED motor, the starter winding contacts may be sticking open. If the motor shop is checking it out now, they WILL find the problem. I can only speculate.

Jim Kappel
07-13-2009, 11:05 PM
I just hope whatever it is isn't too expensive. The darned thing only cost around $175-200. I'd hate to put too much money into it.

Matt Armstrong
07-14-2009, 2:38 AM
could be a bad centrifugal switch. But, to really rule out the cap, unplug the motor, give the blower wheel a solid spin (it should spin freely for some time) and then go plug in the motor and flip it on while the wheel is still turning. Do NOT attempt to spin the motor by hand while it's buzzing. If it starts rotating, it's a bad starter cap again. If it still sucks, keep troubleshooting.

Rod Sheridan
07-14-2009, 8:23 AM
could be a bad centrifugal switch. But, to really rule out the cap, unplug the motor, give the blower wheel a solid spin (it should spin freely for some time) and then go plug in the motor and flip it on while the wheel is still turning. Do NOT attempt to spin the motor by hand while it's buzzing. If it starts rotating, it's a bad starter cap again. If it still sucks, keep troubleshooting.

Matt, an open start winding or centrifugal switch will have the same effect on motor starting. Your test does not prove that it's the start capacitor.

Regards, Rod.

Jim Kappel
07-14-2009, 9:12 AM
The start capacitor was tested and still works. We'll see today what it is. I hope it's simple and inexpensive.