PDA

View Full Version : Curves and Text

Steve Clarkson
07-13-2009, 6:59 PM
Well, I'm back from a two week hiatus in the Finger Lakes and Adirondack Mountains....little sore from a small mountain bike flip over the handle bars, but nothing is broken!

I have a job to do 200 electical name plates.....ALL different text! They provided me a pdf which imported easily enough into Corel. I tried to import the text as text, but that didn't work,....it all came in as curves.

My issue is sizing. The nameplate size is easy enough....2.5"x1.125" but the text height must be 0.125".

How can I easily resize these letters proportionately?

The first problem is that when I ungroup the curves, each letter or number is made up of 2 or 3 curves.

I can group a whole line and then drag the corner to resize, by that takes alot of time.

Any suggestions?

I'm attaching a cdr with one as an example.

Dee Gallo
07-13-2009, 7:02 PM
You came to the Adirondacks and didn't stop in to see me? I'm insulted!

:eek: dee

Steve Clarkson
07-13-2009, 7:17 PM
I wasn't near Canton! I was in Long Lake!

Bruce Volden
07-13-2009, 7:32 PM
Steve,

Can't you just use the arrange~transform dropdown and select the vertical size you need, (maintain aspect or not?) Or I don't understand the question:confused:

Bruce

Dee Gallo
07-13-2009, 7:41 PM
I wasn't near Canton! I was in Long Lake!

What's 50 more miles?

Okay, I'll help you out. .125 = 1/8" or 3.175mm

Now go back to work!!

Steve Clarkson
07-13-2009, 7:54 PM
Dee, you're like a calculator!

Bruce, you're 100% correct.....I always use the transformation docker, and you can't maintain the aspect ratio there.....but your way worked like a charm!

Thanks!

Mike Null
07-13-2009, 8:55 PM
Steve

If they'll send the file as an Excell file you can handle it with a minimum of set up time.

Steve Clarkson
07-13-2009, 9:22 PM
Good point.....I'll ask, but I doubt it. They're taking it off an engineers drawing or blueprint of some type.

Thanks for the suggestion.

By the way....I got it....LOL....110 2"x6" tags @ $7/each and 70 2.5"x1.125" tags for $4.50 each....how'd I do?

Tony Lenkic
07-13-2009, 9:34 PM
Steve, you did very well on this one.
For that amount I would re-type them all.

Steve Clarkson
07-13-2009, 9:52 PM
I'm practically doing that right now!!!!!!! I'll give you half to do it!!!!!! LOL!!!!

Mike Null
07-14-2009, 7:02 AM
Steve

Good job on your bid. I agree with Tony. If you make new boxes and type all then you can use that as a format the next time even if you do talk them into using Excel. As I'm sure you know the font is Arial at slightly over 12 pts.

Automating this process will make this job so easy that you will agressively seek out this kind of business.

Ian Wilson (AUST)
07-14-2009, 8:11 AM
And you were thinking of giving it all away two weeks ago!!! Well done mate....hope the $$$ keep rolling in.

Cheers Ian

Scott Shepherd
07-14-2009, 8:13 AM
how'd I do?

You do GREAT! That's the way to do it. This is EXACTLY the type of work that will make you money. Great job, easy work, good money. Now, go get some more ;)

Bill Cunningham
07-14-2009, 9:06 PM
Good going Steve.. One Electrical contractor usually leads to more.. Make sure they know you can also do complete panels, with holes and legends..
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=62295&d=1176429368

Randy Walker
07-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Great work Steve, glad to have you back.

Bill I love that indicater plate. I am going to have to create something like that for myself. It will make a great calling card with my logo on the back (with your permission ofcourse).http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

Randy Walker

Larry Bratton
07-15-2009, 1:19 PM
Now who was it that was about ready to give up a few days ago????? What is it they say "all cometh to he who wait-ith, provided he work-eth like hell while he wait-eth". Good job!

Bill Cunningham
07-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Great work Steve, glad to have you back.

Bill I love that indicater plate. I am going to have to create something like that for myself. It will make a great calling card with my logo on the back (with your permission ofcourse).http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

Randy Walker

Hey!! Go for it... I can't remember where I 'borrowed' the idea from, but it's been around for quite a while..
Have fun..

Scott Challoner
07-18-2009, 4:05 PM
Bill

Would you be willing to post the .cdr? :rolleyes:

Steven Wallace
07-25-2009, 3:09 PM
Steve congrats on securing the job. As you know, to know if that is a good quote or a great quote, you need to figure in the other variables. Material cost, setup and engraving time, and delivery costs. It is probably still good just to get a job at this time here in the good ol' USA.

Bill Cunningham
07-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Bill

Would you be willing to post the .cdr? :rolleyes:

Here ya go Scott.. Sorry it took a while to get back on this.. I was taking a short vacation, sitting back on my boat with a .5% beer in my hand, trying not to get rained on..

Scott Challoner
07-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Here ya go Scott.. Sorry it took a while to get back on this.. I was taking a short vacation, sitting back on my boat with a .5% beer in my hand, trying not to get rained on..

Thanks Bill

Rain could quickly spoil your vacation. You don't want to water down your beer. :D

Lisa Higginbotham
07-27-2009, 7:03 PM
Steve - That looks like plain old Arial 9 pt to me. I would set it up to do print merge and rock and roll! I need a few jobs with that type of profit!

Bill Cunningham
08-01-2009, 9:14 PM
Thanks Bill

Rain could quickly spoil your vacation. You don't want to water down your beer. :D

Ehh yuh.. And it don't take much to water down a .5 beer.. :D

Andy Joe
08-04-2009, 4:21 PM
Im confused, why retype and all that. I get drawings made in solid works all the time, and everything is a goup of lines like u say. One u could just leave aspect ratio on and type in new size, if u need to fill with color i always just ungroup the lines, combine them with one click then auto connect them then fill. Maybe i dont understand the question. Either way it seems like u have it figured out now

Darren Null
08-04-2009, 8:55 PM
I always use the transformation docker, and you can't maintain the aspect ratio there
Yes you can. Just uncheck the 'Non Proportional' box. Then click off & on the first object to re-select it.